a
t
i
r
davit davit
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
10 years ago
so i understand the ideas of tonicity and osmolarity. I get that tonicity refers to the movement of water in a cell and is a comparison. I also understand that osmolarity doesn't actually compare anything and that it simply states whether a cell or solution has more solute per liter. My confusion is in regards to why a hyposmotic solution can only be hypotonic. why a isosmotic solution may be hypotonic OR isotonic, and why a hyperosmotic solution may be any type of tonicity. My book explains that the tonicity is related to the amount of nonpenetrating solutes but it still doesn't make too much sense to me on how a hyperosmotic solution can be hypotonic at the same time.
Read 385 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Hyperosmotic is refer to the solution that contains more "stuff" than its environment. Let's take your cell as an example. Your cell does not allow a lot of material to leave. So, when you have a solution that is isomotic, you can have a solution that is isotonic to the cell (in every shape or form) or hypotonic to the cell in other aspect. So why does IV being look at as isotonic to the cell? This is weird. IV contain "stuff" that is similar to your blood (i.e. your extracellular). When you have put an IV in, you tend to just fill up that extra cellular part, and not the intracellular part. Hence, you see people look a tad big!
So, in explaining what you are thinking, the question you should be asking is, is that substance osmotically active? Does it contribute to the osmolarity of the liquid in question?
Hope that helps.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1238 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?