e
w
j
a
eliza20 eliza20
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
The nurse working on a postpartum unit is caring for a Native American client who requests that the placenta be returned in order to take it home and bury it under the tree in her yard.

Which of the following would demonstrate cultural competence? 1. I understand the importance of burying the placenta to your culture, but because of the risk of blood-borne pathogens, we cannot allow you to have it.
  2. I will speak with my supervisor and do everything I can to obtain it.
  3. Placentas contain a great deal of blood, and are not returned to clients.
  4. Why do you bury the placenta?
Read 56 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
Rationale 1: Answer option 2 demonstrates cultural competence by recognizing the importance of this belief to the client and working as an advocate to meet the client's needs. Option 1 demonstrates cultural sensitivity, but does not demonstrate cultural competence, because the nurse is not recognizing the importance of this request to the client. Option 4 demonstrates culture awareness in trying to learn more about differences in cultures but does not go far enough to demonstrate cultural competence. Option 3 does not demonstrate cultural awareness, cultural sensitivity, or cultural competence.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1002 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 423