r
O
x
d
s
generalkorn12 generalkorn12
wrote...
9 years ago
I'm having trouble understanding what exactly my practice test is asking.

What type of interaction would you expect between the CH2 groups of residue 4 of the dipeptide and the atoms of residue X? What interation is expected between NH3+ group of residue 4 and atoms of residue Y? Give an example of an amino acid residue expected for residue X and Y. Justify your choice.

I'm thinking for the interaction, it would be a van der waal interaction (due to it being a CH2 group). But for the amino acid residue, I can't figure what kind of residue they're expecting, I'm thinking glycine because it's a small molecule and won't have any hindrance, but I've got no clue whether that's an appropriate answer. For 'Residue Y', would it be appropriate to say aspartate would interaction with the amino side chain and it would be a salt bridge? I'm thinking that a negatively charged amino acid would be necessary to bind the polypeptide to the active site of alpha chymotrypsin and therefore, the interaction would be a salt bridge.

(The diagram depicts alpha chymotrypsin and polypeptide chain entering its active site.)
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
Read 1114 times