t
i
r
r
avg1000 avg1000
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
I occasionally have sharp pains in the chest (my first thought being a heart attack), but I usually don't take note of this because it goes away right away. And later I found out that this is actually pretty normal. But there are rare times where it stays for like 5 minutes then decreases but I can still feel a slight irritation there. My mom told me it is heartburn.  Question Mark
Read 5874 times
28 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, biology101
When this spam occurs, does it feel like you've got peanut butter stuck in your esophagus? Sounds funny, but it's a serious question? If so, then these spasms, believe it or not, are originating from the muscles along your back. It's likely that you've spent a lot of time sitting down in an uncomfortable position, which has lead key nerves and muscles that run along your back to twist, leading to this feeling like you're having a sudden heart attack.

In addition, if it were heartburn, you'd feel a burning sensation, starting from the base of the stomach.
avg1000 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Tbh, I don't know how having peanut butter stuck in your esophagus feels like. I don't remember any other irritations I had along with it. The other explanations seemed to be accurate though, because my most recent occurrence was when I had been sitting in front of a computer for hours before I got up to eat lunch and that's when it happened. Sounds like a probable cause?
wrote...
12 years ago
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Try to straighten your back while doing your work on the computer. Although the feeling is highly uncomfortable - like someone stabbed you in the heart - it's not something to lose sleep over. Have someone give you a deep tissue massage to loosen those knots.
avg1000 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Thanks for the response. I'll take your inputs into consideration. Slight Smile
avg1000 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
omg. Right now I'm feeling, I don't know how to explain. It's not like the sharp pain from before. I guess you can call it burning sensation. It's right in the middle of the chest above the abdomen but below the throat. It's been hurting for hours now. It's bearable and I'm not distracted too much, but I'm a little scared seeing that I just had that sharp pain in the heart from before. Does this sound like normal heartburn?
avg1000 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
To add, also I've eaten a lot of foods with cheese recently. Having a heartburn would make sense, but I've had occasional worse diets before and I don't ever remember this occurring.
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Does this sound like normal heartburn?

That's indeed heartburn. Limit your diet to a food that is lesss acidic. Also, have your stomach checked for H. pylori.
avg1000 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Right now it's still hurting. It kept me up all night yesterday. And when I breath in a little harder it hurts.I'm feeling tired but I can't seem to sleep because it hurts so much when I lay down. Is this really heartburn? I feel as though I tore a chest muscle or something.
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
11 years ago
Maybe it is pleurisy?  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002347/
Volunteers are seldom paid; not because they are worthless, but because they are PRICELESS!
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Right now it's still hurting. It kept me up all night yesterday. And when I breath in a little harder it hurts.I'm feeling tired but I can't seem to sleep because it hurts so much when I lay down. Is this really heartburn? I feel as though I tore a chest muscle or something.

Do you feel it in your throat as well? Moreover, have you taken an antacid? Try one, it doesn't hurt. Report back!!
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
11 years ago
So demanding! LOL  If they are on any medications there may be contraindications with antacids as most meds have one to them, so take at a different time then your meds. if you take any.
Volunteers are seldom paid; not because they are worthless, but because they are PRICELESS!
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
So demanding!

LOL sorry Wink Face Now I see the difficulty in diagnosing over the internet.
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
11 years ago
It is all guess work lewis, even the MD's are guessing a lot of the time. That is why we are all here to give our input.

We so need a *poke* smiley Face with Stuck-out Tongue
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1263 People Browsing
 124 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741