t
i
r
r
kannaicazy kannaicazy
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
In chickens, the presence of feathers on the legs is due to a dominant allele (F), and the absence of leg feathers is due to a recessive allele (f). The comb on the top of the head can be either pea-shaped, a phenotype that is controlled by a dominant allele (P), or a single comb controlled by a recessive allele (p). The two loci assort independently. Assume that a pure-breeding rooster that has feathered legs and a single comb is crossed with a pure-breeding hen that has no leg feathers and a pea-shaped comb. The F1 are crossed to produce the F2. Among the resulting F2, however, only birds with a single comb and feathered legs are allowed to mate. These chickens mate at random to produce F3 progeny.

What is the expected genotype ratio for the resulting F3 progeny?
 I know the answer is FFpp : Ffpp : ffpp =  4:4:1 but I do not understand how.  When I make a punnet square I get 1:2:1
Read 3801 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
rsb
wrote...
9 years ago
Well, the problem tells you what kind of birds you have, and you have to recognise first the genotype of the birds, then make the breedings and then to understand what fenotypes are given by the genotypes.
Here's the solution to your problem:
Write the genotypes of the birds: the chicken that is true-breeding for feathered legs and single comb has FFpp, and the chicken that is true-breeding for the absence of leg feathers and pea comb is ffPP. Their chicks will all have the genotype FfPp (this is the F1 generation, the first breeding). In F2, they will give:
FFPP, FfPP, FFPp, FfPp
FfPP, ffPP, FfPp, ffPp
FFPp, FfPp, FFpp, Ffpp
FfPp, ffPp, Ffpp, ffpp.
(16 chicks)--From these, you only keep the ones with single comb and feathered legs, that means you only keep the ones with the genotype FFpp or Ffpp. You have two Ffpp and one FFpp.
These birds will give, as shown, chicks:
FFpp, Ffpp, FFpp, Ffpp
FFpp, Ffpp, FFpp, Ffpp
FFpp, Ffpp, Ffpp, ffpp
Total: 5 FFpp, 6 Ffpp and 1ffpp.
That means:
-5/12 (41.66%) chickens with feathered legs and single comb (true breeding)
-6/12 (50%) chickens with feathered legs and single comb (true breeding only for the shape of the comb)
-1/12 (8.33%) chickens with featherless legs and single comb (true breeding).

And that's it!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1365 People Browsing
 105 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352