i
r
r
lisamariexg lisamariexg
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
RICHARD
Richard is a 68-year-old man with chronic renal failure who was in the hospital in serious condition recovering from a heart attack. He had just undergone "balloon angioplasty" to redilate his left coronary artery, and was thus on an "npo" diet (i.e. he was not allowed to have food or drink by mouth). He received fluid through an intravenous (IV) line. Late one night, a weary nurse who was on the 11th hour of a 12-hour shift came into the patient's room to replace the man's empty IV bag with a new one. Misreading the physician's orders, he hooked up a fresh bag of IV fluid that was "twice-normal" saline rather than "half-normal" saline (in other words, the patient starting receiving a fluid that was four times saltier than it should have been). This mistake was not noticed until the following morning. At that time, the man had marked pitting edema around the sacral region and had inspiratory rales ("wet-sounding crackles") at the bases of the lungs on each side. He complained that it was difficult to breathe as well. Blood was drawn, revealing the following:

Na+   157 mEq / liter      (Normal = 136-145 mEq / liter)
K+           4.7 mEq / liter       (Normal = 3.5-5.0 mEq / liter)
C1-   101 mEq / liter      (Normal = 96-106 mEq / liter)

A chest x-ray revealed interstitial edema in the lungs.

I NEED HELP DIAGNOSING HIM AND WHAT TO DO TO MAKE HIM BETTER.
Read 955 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
The presence of edema is characteristic of isotonic fluid excess Edema fluid may mask the loss of tissue mass When excess fluid accumulated in the lungs there are complaints of shortness of breathe and difficult breathing, respiratory crackles, and a productive cough

At the tissue level edema increases the distance of diffusion of oxygen nutrients and waste.
Edematous tissues usually are more susceptible to injury and development of ischemic tissue damage including pressure ulcers Edema can also compress blood vessels which can cut off blood supply

Osmosis is the movement of water across a semipermeable membrane. As with particles water diffuses down its concentration gradient moving from the side of the membrane with the lesser number of particles and greater concentration of water to the side with the greater number of particles and lesser concentration of water.

The exchange of fluids between the interstitial spaces occurs at the capillary level Pitting edema is an accumulation of interstitial fluids that exceeds the absorptive capacity tissue gel Decreased capillary colloidal osmotic pressure
lisamariexg Author
wrote...
9 years ago
what was your diagnosis? my group and I are having trouble diagnosing him.  Treatment we thought of dialysis or kidney transplant
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, bio_man
What is a heart attack?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1445 People Browsing
 128 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?