i
r
r
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
10 years ago
Hello Slight Smile

Any thought about what getting an MSc in public health does?
Read 685 times
4 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Hello... I just completed Masters in public health and am now doing a masters in science (health administration). I think both degrees are good, but you have to make sure what are the job prospects for these course are good in your country. For example, having a masters in public health in India would strike you a job quickly. One year public health along with one year health administration (or dual degree) makes a good combination and increases chances of finding a job.

Hope this helps.
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
HI ehd123

Is this similar to social work?
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago
There are so many jobs that you can get with a MPH in a variety of areas. Depending on what concentration you decide (epidemiology, health promotion/behavioral science, biostats, environmental, management/policy) there are differences in income after graduation. Biostatistics is probably the concentration the fewest people choose and therefore you can make a decent amount of money as a statistician following graduation.

Epidemiology is also another good field. In epi, you can work for the goverment (CDC) or corporate companies. Health promotion and behavioral sciences focuses on prevention, intervention, and changing people's behaviors to promote health. Personally, in my research I've found that these HPBS jobs are a little lower paying when you only have an MPH. For the environmental concentration, you can work in health policy with the govt or other advocacy groups. In the management and administration concentration, you can work as a hospital administrator and work on how to make health systems run efficiently.

In general, with a MPH, there are a lot of very different jobs. The way I went about researching possible jobs was to look at a job site (check link below). I think with an MPH, you need to remember that you're not in it for the money, but more for what you can do for other people. However, you can live and find a job, with an MPH. If you do decide to go for an MPH, make sure to pick a concentration that you will enjoy and are interested in.

Good luck!
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, ehd123
There are so many jobs that you can get with a MPH in a variety of areas. Depending on what concentration you decide (epidemiology, health promotion/behavioral science, biostats, environmental, management/policy) there are differences in income after graduation. Biostatistics is probably the concentration the fewest people choose and therefore you can make a decent amount of money as a statistician following graduation.

Epidemiology is also another good field. In epi, you can work for the goverment (CDC) or corporate companies. Health promotion and behavioral sciences focuses on prevention, intervention, and changing people's behaviors to promote health. Personally, in my research I've found that these HPBS jobs are a little lower paying when you only have an MPH. For the environmental concentration, you can work in health policy with the govt or other advocacy groups. In the management and administration concentration, you can work as a hospital administrator and work on how to make health systems run efficiently.

In general, with a MPH, there are a lot of very different jobs. The way I went about researching possible jobs was to look at a job site (check link below). I think with an MPH, you need to remember that you're not in it for the money, but more for what you can do for other people. However, you can live and find a job, with an MPH. If you do decide to go for an MPH, make sure to pick a concentration that you will enjoy and are interested in.

Good luck!

This is some great information. Thank you zoeksyrianos. I shall look into it further

Post Merge: 10 years ago

HI ehd123

Is this similar to social work?

Hello padre.. apparently it is. Seems like its more of an professional form of biology. Still not sure about what to apply to for the MSc
Post Merge: 10 years ago

Hello... I just completed Masters in public health and am now doing a masters in science (health administration). I think both degrees are good, but you have to make sure what are the job prospects for these course are good in your country. For example, having a masters in public health in India would strike you a job quickly. One year public health along with one year health administration (or dual degree) makes a good combination and increases chances of finding a job.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much Slight Smile Never thought of it from this perspective -  I will research the jobs right away!
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1299 People Browsing
 123 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431