a
t
i
r
clueless clueless
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, clueless
Lets say each concentration was reacted for 5 mins, using varying 3mL solutions in cuvettes. They were then measured in a spectrophotometer to get the following absorbance data.
0.20mM -> 0.592
0.40mM -> 0.942
0.75mM -> 1.598
1.00mM -> 2.307
1.50mM -> 2.498
 How do i convert them to velocity?
I know i have to use beers law and the extinction coefficient(18,300/M*cm)
But im kinda confused here =/

EDIT: I'm going to take a guess that C=A/3l and then Vo=C/(delta)T which in this case, (delta)T would be equal to 5. Using this info, the absorbance reading, 0.592 measures out to 0.005202mM/min.
Are my equations correct? Do i divide C by (delta)T which is equal to 5?
Read 2182 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, Neji513
how would c/t give you velocity? c is the speed of light in m/s and t is time. dividing those two will not give you m/s, but it'll give your answer m/s^2 which is acceleration.. so there is a problem with your equations

just using the equation you're given though.. i'm guessing c is the concentration and not the speed of light.....if c is the concentration, you can calculate the rate of change by calculating C and then taking the change in concentrations and dividing it by your time which is 5 minutes
clueless Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Lol alright yea, beers law is Absorbance(A)=extinction coefficient(3)*concentration(c)*path lenght(l)
wrote...
10 years ago
Lol alright yea, beers law is Absorbance(A)=extinction coefficient(3)*concentration(c)*path lenght(l)

yea, so just calculate the concentration. i'm guessing you're testing how an enzyme affects the rate of reaction am i correct? if so, then take the concentration at the end, and the concentration at the beginning, and divide by your total time which is 5 minutes and that should give you the rate of the enzyme. path length should be the width of the cuvette which i believe your teacher should give to you, but you could also measure it
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1358 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?