f
a
d
c
Irviner Irviner
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
If anyone knows any of these I'd really appreciate the help I am so confused. This is so confusing. I did the PhysioEx Exercises for the back questions three times and I don't know where the answers are supposed to generate from.
Source  Human Anatomy & Physiology - Marieb/Mitchell 9th edition
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 703 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
You need to post the question into the textarea, not as an attachment

Biology 120
Lab Report 1

Name:  _____________________________ _________

Use complete sentences to type your answers to the following questions, or type your answers into the table.  You may type them in this word document, then print it out and bring it to lab.  Remember, no handwriting is permitted.  Do NOT copy information from a textbook, journals, fellow students, or the Internet!  Paraphrased material must include correct citations.

1.  A. Explain the differences between passive and active transport across cell membranes.

B.  For the following, indicate whether the method is passive or active:

Active Transport     _______      Filtration         _______

Diffusion      _______      Facilitated Diffusion      _______

Endocytosis      _______      Secondary Active Transport   _______

Osmosis      _______      Exocytosis         _______

C.  Explain why substances need to cross the cell membrane.

2.  A. Explain the term “concentration gradient”.  Make sure to discuss the difference between a
          solution's concentration and a concentration gradient.

B. An artificial cell contains 0.03 M sucrose and 0.02 M glucose.  It is placed into a solution
          containing 0.01 M concentrations each of sucrose, glucose, and fructose. The ‘cell’
          membrane is permeable to glucose and fructose, but not sucrose.

1.  For which solutes do concentration gradients exist?

2.  Which solute(s) will exhibit net diffusion into the cell?

3.  Which solute(s) will exhibit net diffusion out of the cell?

3.  List and explain at least three things that influence whether a molecule will be able to pass
     through a biological membrane.

4.  A.  Define osmosis.

B.  What is meant by osmolality? (No. The term is not osmolarity.) 

5.  With reference to solutions in the human body, differentiate among hypotonic, hypertonic, and
     isotonic.  Remember: These terms are always used to compare two solutions.

6. Ringer’s solution is often given to patients through an IV.  With reference to the osmolality
    of human red blood cells, how would you describe Ringer’s solution? (Hint:  See question 5.)

7. Define the terms ‘crenate’ and ‘lyse’ with respect to human cells.

8.  A.  Indicate the method(s) of transport across the cell membrane for each of the following.
     B.  Indicate whether the method(s) is(are) active or passive by writing "active" or "passive" in
           the chart.  There may be more than one answer for each.

Method(s)         Passive/Active

A.  Glucose

B.  Amino acids

C.  O2

D.  CO2

E.  H2O

F.  Urea

G.  H+, Na+, K+, Ca++

H.  Pancreatic digestive enzymes

9.  Explain how the number of glucose carrier proteins in the membrane in PhysioEx Exercise 1,
     activity 2 affected the rate of glucose transport.  Why does this occur?

10. A. Thoroughly explain the cause of the osmotic pressure generated in activity 3. 

B.  Under what circumstances was no osmotic pressure generated?  Why?

Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
1.  A. Explain the differences between passive and active transport across cell membranes.

B.  For the following, indicate whether the method is passive or active:

Answer

A) active transport requires ATP as substance move against concentration gradient. Passive transport do not require ATP since substance moves down concentration gradient.

B) active, passive, passive, passive, active, active, passive, active.

padre: Two questions per thread!!
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Irviner Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you for your help. Okay I didn't know that. I'll remember for next time. Wink Face
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
NP, thanks for cooperating, here are some more answers:

2.  A. Explain the term “concentration gradient”.  Make sure to discuss the difference between a
          solution's concentration and a concentration gradient.

B. An artificial cell contains 0.03 M sucrose and 0.02 M glucose.  It is placed into a solution
          containing 0.01 M concentrations each of sucrose, glucose, and fructose. The ‘cell’
          membrane is permeable to glucose and fructose, but not sucrose.

1.  For which solutes do concentration gradients exist?

2.  Which solute(s) will exhibit net diffusion into the cell?

3.  Which solute(s) will exhibit net diffusion out of the cell?

A) -Concentration gradient is a change/ difference in the concentration of solutes in a solution between two regions. A gradient results from unequal distribution of ions or molecules across a membrane.
-A solution concentration is the concentration of that solution only, where as a concentration gradient is difference with respect to substances across two regions.
B) It is given that an artificial cell consists of 0.03M sucrose and 0.02 M glucose. The cell is placed in a solution containing 0.01M concentrations each of sucrose, glucose and fructose.
The cell is impermeable to the sucrose, but allows glucose and fructose.
1. Concentration gradient exists only for sucrose, as cell s impermeable for it. The inner concentration is 0.03M and outer is 0.01M. This exerts a concentration gradient of 0.02M across the membrane with respect to the sucrose. Where as the fructose and glucode will move across the membrane until the concentrations are equal on both sides.
2. Net diffusion into the cell is absent. Because the concentrations are higher inside the cell.
3. Glucose will exert net diffusion out of the cell because the concentration outside is low compared to the inside.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Irviner Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Your so smart. I wish I understood this stuff. I really need to get a good grade in this class. Send some of your smarts my way lol  Smiling Face with Halo
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
lol NP
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago
could you answer number 8?Neutral Face
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
could you answer number 8?Neutral Face

I don't know it Frowning Face

Irviner could you update us?!
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  946 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 379