a
t
i
r
centimetergrove centimetergrove
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
A black rough guinea pig is crossed with an albino rough one. The progeny consist of thirteen black rough, sixteen albino rough, six black smooth, and 5 albino smooth. Identify the genotypes of the parents.

I dont get it?
Read 424 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
10 years ago
Since we have the least smooth, we can assume that smooth is the recessive trait.  Since black and albino are essentially in a 1:1 ratio, we can assume that albinism is lethal when homozygous, causing death in albino homozygotes (AA's).  (NB: I assume albinism is dominant in this case because lethal alleles are dominant).  This would indicate that the parents are aaRr x AaRr.

If either was homozygous AA, they wouldn't have survived to reproduce.  Rough is the dominant trait, both parents are rough, so they must both carry an R, but they have smooth offspring in the progeny, so they must also both each carry an r.

This is how you get the 1:1 ratio on the black/albino trait and the 3:1 ratio on the rough/smooth trait (all ratios approximate, obviously).
Pretty fly for a SciGuy
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1243 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372