a
t
i
r
micro micro
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
10 years ago
For eukaryotic cells the comet assay is very common but what about prokaryotes such as bacteria? How would one measure / detect DNA damage?
Read 980 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
It can also be used on prokaryotes, can't it?
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
micro Author
wrote...
10 years ago
umm no "the detection of DNA damage at the level of the individual eukaryotic cell".
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
umm no "the detection of DNA damage at the level of the individual eukaryotic cell".

No, it really can be used in some prokaryotes
Source  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18427939
Tralalalala Slight Smile
micro Author
wrote...
10 years ago
yeah "some" Wink Face
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
True, what about the micronucleus test?
Tralalalala Slight Smile
micro Author
wrote...
10 years ago
hmm haven't heard about that
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
But, is there a specific reason, or you just want to know?
Here is something I found, although I'm not sure if it's understandable: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10698764

There are definitely several ways, and if you want I'll search more about it.
micro Author
wrote...
10 years ago
I did come across that method Alexxx. The reason is that I need to determine if protein synthesis and cell viability overall is being effected due to damage in the DNA or other reasons.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Sorry for the useless post but, can you give me all the details about your work?
I'm not sure, but you might be able to use a simpler method rather than a general detection of DNA damage.
micro Author
wrote...
10 years ago
I am currently testing for antimicrobial properties of some chemical compounds. For ones which were determined positive (i.e. antimicrobial), I am investigation how cell death is obtained what is causing cell death so I'm investigating several properties of the cell to see if there were any changes. DNA is one of them so I need to determine if before and after treatment there has been any DNA alteration. At first, a general idea of this would be enough (i.e. determine if it is damaged or not); maybe later, if I would have determined that yes there is DNA damage, I may perform PCR to determine at which point is there DNA damage. But for now, it would be enough to determine if DNA has been damaged or not.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1256 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?