× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
slapmarket slapmarket
wrote...
13 years ago
ok, imagine a new planet has been discovered...

*The atmosphere is about 10% lower than the concentration of oxygen in Earth's atmosphere.

*environment is arid compared to earth, but freshwater is still available

*animals on the planet share nearly the same characteristics with mammals on earth

What would you expect their respiratory system to be like?

How would the respiratory system of the mammals of this new planet differ from the mammals on earth?

I would like some parts to be specific as to how the blood/O2 exchange would occur....

thanks everyone
Read 1374 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, bio_man
Wow, great question.

The key to solving this question is to understand the statement "animals on the planet share nearly the same characteristics with mammals on earth." This sentence indicates that the animals on this planet carry blood physiologically similar to animals on our planet, only with subtle differences. Since there is a lower concentration of oxygen in the atmosphere, hemoglobin (the blood carrying proteins) would have to function a little more aggressively than our hemoglobin; perhaps more like myoglobin, where the affinity for oxygen is much higher. In fact, myoglobin has a hyperbolic oxygen equilibrium curve; this indicates that myoglobin in monomeric and accepts a single oxygen molecule with high affinity. Hemoglobins, on the other hand, are multimeric; they display cooperative binding, which means that its affinity for oxygen changes with the amount of oxygen already bound. The binding of one oxygen in hemoglobin increasing the affinity for the next subunit of the hemoglobin molecule - Hemoglobin, unlike myglobin, has four subunits.

Do you get it, or do you want me to explain it to you in a different way?

What level are you studying? This a 2nd year university response Undecided
slapmarket Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thank you, I am a first year student studying Biology 106, the book we use is the Campbell/Reece.

Everything you mentioned was actually in parts of my notes but i completely forgot about them. Your information is much more helpful, i understand it better. Thanks so much. This is my first time using this forum, its great :]
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Thank you, I am a first year student studying Biology 106, the book we use is the Campbell/Reece.

Oh excellent, we are associated with Pearson, so if you ever need answers to questions, we have test-bank material for your textbook Slight Smile.
slapmarket Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Since you were mainly talking about hemoglobin/myoglobin, would this be more of a circulatory system adaptation rather than a respiratory systems'? Where does it lean more towards?

thanks.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I would classify it as respiration and gas exchange.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1297 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4