c
l
e
s
baruch007 baruch007
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
During a group therapy session, a newly admitted patient suddenly says to the nurse, How old are you? You seem too young to be leading a group.. The most appropriate response the nurse might make is:

a. I am wondering what leads you to ask. Could you tell me more, please?
  b. I am old enough to be a nurse, so that would make me in my 20s at least..
  c. My age is not pertinent to why we are here and should not really concern you..
  d. You are wondering whether I have enough experience to lead this group..
Read 56 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
D
A question such as this is common in the initial phase of group development when the members are getting to know one another, dealing with trust issues, and testing the leader. Making explicit the implied serves to role-model more effective communication and prompts further discussion of the patient's concern. Asking the patient to tell the leader more about the question focuses on the reason for the member's concern rather than on the issue raised (the experience and ability of the leader) and is a less helpful response. I am old enough to be a nurse and age is not pertinent are somewhat defensive responses and are not therapeutic because neither addresses the patient's valid concern.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  546 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 824

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?