e
s
s
e
ljupcod ljupcod
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Fruit color in a particular plant is controlled by a set of three QTLs (quantitative trait loci, or 
“polygenes”) that work in an equal and additive manner. Each QTL has two alleles (i.e., A and a); each 
allele represented by a capital letter produces “one dose” of yellow pigment, while alleles represent 
with lower case letters do not produce any pigment at all.  If a trihybrid plant (A/a; B/b; C/c) is 
testcrossed, what proportion of the offspring will have a fruit colour phenotype that is different from 
both the trihybrid and the tester parents?  Assume no environmental effects.  Assume all three QTL independently assort
Read 3082 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
By using a punnet square to do a test cross of a heterozygote ‘AaBbBb’ (the trihybrid) with a homozygous recessive ‘aabbcc’ (tester parent), you can obtain the eight possible offspring genotypes I posted. Your question asks "what proportion of the offspring will have a fruit colour phenotype that is different from both the trihybrid and the tester parents?" Your post also says that each dominant allele is a ‘dose’ of yellow pigment. A heterozygote ‘AaBbCc’ has three dominant alleles, so you can think of it having a pigment level of three. A homozygous recessive ‘aabbcc’ has no dominant alleles, so its pigment level would be zero. So basically, the question is asking “how many of the offspring have either a pigment that is different than three or zero”. Of the eight different possibilities for genotypes, you’ll see that one offspring had the same genotype as the heterozygote ‘AaBbCc’ and another had homozygous ‘aabbcc’. So out of eight total different possibilities, 6 will be different than either the trihybrid plant or the tester parent. 6/8=3/4. I hope that helps!
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago
How is the parental/tester phenotype 2? You lost me with the phenotypic ratios.
When you like a flower, you just pluck it out.
But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
The one who understands this, understands life.

- That's the difference between I like you and I love you.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  958 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 608

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?