a
t
i
r
mymymommy07 mymymommy07
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Please help!!! First topic... radical equations... simplifying multiplying and dividing... ie. ^5sqr/-32x^10y^5
Read 303 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
10 years ago
I suppose this is what you mean?
\({^{5}}{sqrt{-32{x^{10}}{y^{5}}}}\)

To solve this, we should rewrite everything in exponentiated form:
\({^{5}}{sqrt{-{2^{5}}{x^{10}}{y^{5}}}}\)

Now, we divide each of the exponents by the index of the radical, 5:
-25: 5/5 = 1 R 0
x10: 10/5 = 2 R 0
y5: 5/5 = 1 R 0

The answers of the division are the exponents for each base that will come out of the radical, and the remainders are the exponents that will remain under the radical.  Since we don't have any remainders, the radical will be eliminated:

Answer:
-21x2y1 = -2x2y

Quick side note, had the index of the radical been even instead of odd, there would have been no real answer solution since you cannot take an even index radical of a negative number and get a real solution.
Pretty fly for a SciGuy
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Also remember that, when you have numbers multiplied or divided with each other (for example a*b or a/b) you can do the following:
\({sqrt{ab}\) = \({sqrt{a}\)\({sqrt{b}\)

So, in your example, you could also do:
\({^{5}}{sqrt{-32{x^{10}}{y^{5}}}}\)=\({^{5}}{sqrt{-32}}\) \({^{5}}{sqrt{x^{10}}}\) \({^{5}}{sqrt{y^{5}}}\) and then do the same thing as Doctor-2-B separately for each member.

Just be careful, the same does not apply when you have subtractions or abstractions.
(for example, \({sqrt{a+b}\) is not equal with \({sqrt{a}\)+\({sqrt{b}\), and therefore, in such cases, you can't simplify using that method.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Basically my advice isn't very good, because you could end up with negative square roots etc.
Just stick with what Doctor-2-B said, and remember you can do the save with divisions too.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1256 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431