c
p
M
a
Biostudent510 Biostudent510
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
A group of student in a Genetics class has been trying to understand the normal functioning of a gene p60 in different tissue types. They show you the following results from experiments they did using mRNA (Northern) and protein (Western) from different tissues of a non-diseased child. The Northern hybridization experiments used a probe targeted at p60-encoding mRNA and the Western hybridization experiment used a probe targeted at the p60 protein.

What kind of molecule was used as a probe to visualize the location of the p60 mRNA in the Northern Blot? What kind of molecule was used as a probe to visualize the location of the p60 protein in the Western Blot?

I am really confused what is meant by targeting a p60 protein? Not really sure how to approach this question.
Read 672 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
They show you the following results from experiments they did using mRNA (Northern) and protein (Western) from different tissues of a non-diseased child. The Northern hybridization experiments used a probe targeted at p60-encoding mRNA and the Western hybridization experiment used a probe targeted at the p60 protein.

What results.

I am really confused what is meant by targeting a p60 protein? Not really sure how to approach this question.

p60 is expressed in high amounts extracellularly. As a result, the p60 protein is a suitable target in immunoassays. Targetting it means that they will use a probe that will bind to it.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Biostudent510 Author
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, Biostudent510
That is all the information that is given so I am not really sure what results either, but here is an image that goes with it, not really sure if I can actually use this as results though.
Post Merge: 10 years ago

I think the question means to ask what kind of molecule you would use as a probe to view these results? I found online that in order to detect proteins on a western blot you need to use an antibody and for a northern plot it's cDNA probe (riboprobe). Am I approaching this correctly? I'm not really sure how to incorporate the p60 into my answer.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1119 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 302