i
r
r
jje5027 jje5027
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Please help!

In the table below, predict (yes or no) whether or not the E. coli lac operon will be transcriptionally active in the presence or absence of glucose or lactose as indicated and respond to questions "a" and "b." (20 points )

Lactose   Glucose    Lac expression?
No      Yes   
Yes      Yes   
Yes      No   

a.   Explain each of your answers in terms of the molecular mechanisms that are known to underlie the regulation of the lac operon.

b.   Which mechanism is considered to be negative control and which is considered to be positive control? Explain.
Read 677 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
1. catabolic repression will occur . that means when Glucose is present , cyclic AMP (cAMP) will be lowered . cAMP cannt bind to the CAP binding protein.cAMP-CAP cannt bind activator binding site . other wise no lactose is present .so overall lac operon cannt activated. Its a negetive control

2. first glucose will be utilized by catabolic repression . Then lactose will transform the repressor protein`s conformations. Then transformed repressor is removed from the operator binding site . Lac operon get activated.

3.when lactose is present then like #2 lac operon activated . Its a positive control.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
jje5027 Author
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, jje5027
@Padre, I am confused. Could you fill in the above table for me too? Where it says lac expression for the three parts?

Also, I do not know what parts answer what questions.. could be be more clear?

Thanks!  Smiling Face with Open Mouth
Post Merge: 10 years ago

one is neg? three is pos? can you explain why?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1394 People Browsing
 132 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion