d
e
s
s
e
lawyerflaw lawyerflaw
wrote...
13 years ago
Suppose you have two strains that are trpB-. Call one of them trpB1- and the other trpB2-.

In one plate (plate #1) without tryptophan, combine trpB1- mutant cells with DNA from trpA- cells.

In another plate (plate #2) without trptophan, combine trpB1- mutant cells with DNA from trpB2- cells.

You notice that in Plate #1 with trpB1- and trpA- that there are colonies growing.

How many colonies would you expect for Plate #2?

a. there would be no colonies at all
b. there would be some colonies, but less than the number in the experiment with trpA- DNA.
c. there would be about the same number of colonies as the experiment with trpA- DNA.
d. there would be many more colonies compared to the experiment with trpA- DNA.
Read 1557 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Your question lacks information. The answer I will give you is based on the assumption that trpB(1/2)- require tryptophan for growth. Consequently, I believe (a) there would be no colonies at all... is the answer.
lawyerflaw Author
wrote...
13 years ago
I have yet to find out what the correct answer is.

But that's the sorta questions we get for midterms and finals.  Thinking Face
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Then you must have been told in class what they represent because whenever you have a negative beside a gene, then it indicates that the organism lacks the protein or enzyme. Since it says Trp, then the organism cannot produce the enzyme that either creates tryptophan or metabolizes it as a food source.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1523 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 824