m
p
m
f
Cwilliams62 Cwilliams62
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A patient questions the use of lidocaine with epinephrine for repair of a laceration, stating, I thought that was the drug they use in intensive care for patients with heart trouble.

They gave it to my dad when he was a patient. Select the nurse's best response.
  a. This drug comes in several forms. The form used in the repair of your laceration is designed to act locally.
  b. Systemic absorption of lidocaine is promoted by epinephrine, so the anesthetic effects occur more quickly.
  c. It's good you were alert to the events. A medication error occurred, and we will monitor the effects on your heart.
  d. Epinephrine is absorbed more quickly than lidocaine, so the anesthetic effect wears off fast once the laceration is sutured.
Read 40 times
2 Replies