a
t
i
r
kyal kyal
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
2 years ago Edited: 2 years ago, kyal
1. A swim team's average annual attendance is shown in the following table.
Answer the following Questions.

a)]Make a scatter plot out of this time series.
Is swimming becoming more popular?

b)Perform a linear regression.
Describe the strength of correlation.

c)What graphical evidence is there of a
hidden variable?

d)due to the downturn in the economy in 2007,
a large factory was forced to close down. What impact do you believe this had on the correlational study? (Find the variable that is hidden.)

e)What do you believe happened in the years after the factory/plant was shut down?

f)Remove the data points from 2007 to 2009 and run the linear regression again.   
Take a look at the previous linear model and compare it to this one.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 153 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
2 years ago
hi there.. Could you send me the data written on an Excel spread sheet?
kyal Author
wrote...
hi bolbol yea sure thanks for helping
you want just the chart above to be written on an Excel spread sheet?
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago

a)]Make a scatter plot out of this time series. Is swimming becoming more popular?

From what I see, the popularity is growing moderately.

b)Perform a linear regression.
Describe the strength of correlation.

From the linear regression, it appears to be moderate, positive. In fact, 0.50 indicate a moderate positive.

c)What graphical evidence is there of a
hidden variable?

The data experiences a dip after 2006, then shortly after audience begins to rise.

d)due to the downturn in the economy in 2007,
a large factory was forced to close down. What impact do you believe this had on the correlational study? (Find the variable that is hidden.)

An economical downturn means less people working. With less money in people's pockets, the first thing people cross off their list of pleasurably things to do is entertainment. This is likely the reason the attendance dropped.

e)What do you believe happened in the years after the factory/plant was shut down?

People found other work.

f)Remove the data points from 2007 to 2009 and run the linear regression again.   
Take a look at the previous linear model and compare it to this one.

Now the correlation is strong, positive.
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
hi there.. Could you send me the data written on an Excel spread sheet?

Agreed, please share with us the table on Excel next time, it helps the tutors if you showed some work
kyal Author
wrote...
hello thanks so much for helping bio_man and sorry about that will do that next time
for b) it wouldn't be weak, moderate positive. weak would also be included because of the 0.2545? I had some homework questions where the strength of the correlation was a weak, moderate linear correlation for example.
What else could you say about the strength of the correlation? trend./no trend, issues/no issues (any outliers?), etc. please explain in detail.
c)What point exactly? please explain.
d)Where would the hidden variable be? explain please
e)is there anything else to say from that?
f)how would you compare it through both a one and two variable statistical analysis?

thank u again Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
hello thanks so much for helping bio_man and sorry about that will do that next time
for b) it wouldn't be weak, moderate positive. weak would also be included because of the 0.2545? I had some homework questions where the strength of the correlation was a weak, moderate linear correlation for example.
What else could you say about the strength of the correlation? trend./no trend, issues/no issues (any outliers?), etc. please explain in detail.
c)What point exactly? please explain.
d)Where would the hidden variable be? explain please
e)is there anything else to say from that?
f)how would you compare it through both a one and two variable statistical analysis?

thank u again Slight Smile

It's moderate. 0.25 is the r^2 value
kyal Author
wrote...
2 years ago
I understand that it is moderate because of the 0.5044 but with the 0.2545 it is weak, 0-0.33 is weak and 0.33-0.67 is moderate, the diagram I have says that. Some questions can be both weak and moderate.
Could you please help with the rest of the questions that I had said above? I would really appreciate that thank you.
kyal Author
wrote...
I'm unsure if you had seen my reply. would really like help with this. thanks
Post Merge: 2 years ago

also how is the r^2 for f) 0.8888, I got 0.814?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1263 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion