c
l
e
s
t.tarannom t.tarannom
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
How Do we explain that the delusions and hallucinations happening in the Schizophrenia disease,are meaning full ?
By "meaning full" ,I mean that (according to my knowledge) the mechanism that leads to the  delusions and hallucinations, is stimulating specific parts of brain that are responsible for hearing,seeing,etc.With stimulating these parts,I guess the only thing that might happen would be an unclear noise or some weird unclear visions.But as it is in Schizophrenia,these noises and visions have really powerful meanings to the patient,and they are so real to him/her.How does this happen? How different is the stimulation? 
Read 519 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
Hallucinations are meaningful to the person it affects because it is based on that person's personal experiences, so they are 'believable' in the person's head. However, if you were to recreate the hallucination and show it to somebody else, they'd find it absurd.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
t.tarannom Author
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, bio_man
When you say based on the person's personal experiences,it means that it somehow stimulates the memories?
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
As an example, let's say I am schizophrenic. When I was a lot younger, I would fantasize about playing baseball. As a result, I may hallucinate about flying bats and yelling coaches. To the person hallucinating, that means something special because it relates to his/her childhood, but to someone else, it would be rubbish.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  486 People Browsing
Related Images