a
t
i
r
glory123 glory123
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, glory123
To investigate the effect of xxxxx(treatment) on bone metabolism in tail- suspended rats, studies were carried out focusing on bone quality and the molecular mechanisms.

60 Female 8-week old Sprague Dawley rat were randomly selected and divided into 5 groups of 12 each:tail-suspension (TS), tail-suspension plus 1.50 g/kg treatment group, tail-suspension plus 3.00 g/kg treatment group, tail-suspension plus 6.00 g/kg treatment group and a control group (CON). we

my paper need to be revised, but one reviewer's question is really  difficult to answer:

"the tail-suspension experiment lasted 3 weeks and the animals are still growing, it is necessary to have a basal control group (i.e., sacrificed at the beginning of the experiment) to be compared with the control group so that to evaluate the growth effects."

i don't think we need to have a basal control group, but how should i persuade this reviewer? thank you !
Post Merge: 9 years ago

thank u
Read 1340 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
"the tail-suspension experiment lasted 3 weeks and the animals are still growing, it is necessary to have a basal control group (i.e., sacrificed at the beginning of the experiment) to be compared with the control group so that to evaluate the growth effects."

How would you differentiate the basal control group from the actual control group? I also need to understand the work a bit more before I can give you my suggestions.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
glory123 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Purpose To investigate the effect of cod bone gelatin on bone metabolism in tailsuspended
rats, studies were carried out focusing on bone quality and the molecular
mechanisms.
Methods Female 8-week-old control and tail-suspended Sprague Dawley rats were
randomly assigned to 5 groups (12 rats/group) and treated with cod bone gelatin (1.50,
3.00, 6.00 g/kg body weight). Bone mass was assessed by dual-energy X-ray
absorptiometry (DXA) and bone microarchitecture by microcomputed tomography
(μCT). Bone turnover markers were measured by enzyme immunoassay. Finite
element analysis was conducted by using Ansys 11.0.
Results After 21 days, results showed that rats fed with 3.00 g/kg cod bone gelatin had
higher (P < 0.05) BMD of proximal tibias and femoral neck. The lower maximum
compressive principal stress and Von Mises equivalent stress of volume of interest (P
< 0.05) was associated with improved bone microarchitecture in the 3.00 g/kg group.
Rats treated with of 3.00 g/kg cod bone gelatin exhibited lower urine NTX, DPD, serum
IL-1β and serum IL-6. Real-time PCR showed the RANKL/OPG mRNA ratio in the 3
g/kg and 6 g/kg group significantly decreased compared to the TS group(P<0.05).
Conclusions The results suggest that cod bone gelatin treatment may have a
preventive effect on bone loss in tail-suspended rats.

wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
Methods Female 8-week-old control and tail-suspended Sprague Dawley rats were
randomly assigned to 5 groups (12 rats/group) and treated with cod bone gelatin (1.50,
3.00, 6.00 g/kg body weight).

Lost me there. Why would you mix the two groups together? That is, the control group mixed with the experimental group. Why didn't you keep the controls in a separate group?
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
9 years ago
What did you end up doing, glory123?
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1258 People Browsing
Gallery

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145