× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
big-e_7 big-e_7
wrote...
Rep: 1 1
12 years ago
If two solutions having different osmolarities are separated by a water-permeable membrane, will there be a change in the volume of the two compartments if the membrane is impermeable to solutes?

Will there be a change in the volume of the two compartments if the membrane is permeable to solutes?  Explain your answer.

I'm also new to this site so I'm going to try to do my best with working and figuring everything out on here.  Waving Hand Sign
Read 4913 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
big-e_7 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Sorry its PhysioEX version 8
wrote...
12 years ago
If two solutions having different osmolarities are separated by a water-permeable membrane, will there be a change in the volume of the two compartments if the membrane is impermeable to solutes?

Yes
Biology!
wrote...
12 years ago
Will there be a change in the volume of the two compartments if the membrane is permeable to solutes?  Explain your answer.

No. Any change of volume will be due to movement of solvent, for example water, while the solute is prevented from moving. Other result, the osmotic concentrations will become more balanced.
Biology!
big-e_7 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1246 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion