× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
sali sali
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
the Meditation of Roman Emperor and Stoic philosopher Marcus Aurelius. Write a concise statement of gratitude about 300 words identifying the ethical and intellectual debs you owe to family members, teachers, friends, and the broader society as a whole. Fictitious names are permitted, but the statement of gratitude should be genuine. 
Read 367 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
Have you considered reading: http://classics.mit.edu/Antoninus/meditations.1.one.html
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
sali Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Will it answer my question of what i need. Plus i need to write and essay about it
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
Yes, I think there's enough info in there to answer the question. Here's another source Downwards Arrow

Marcus' chief philosophical influence was Stoic: in Book I of the Meditations, he records his gratitude to his Stoic teacher and friend Rusticus for giving him Epictetus to read, and in a letter to Fronto written between 145 and 147, he reports reading the Stoic Aristo and finding intense joy in his teachings, growing ashamed of his own shortcomings, and realizing that he can never again argue opposite sides of the same question, as required by rhetorical practice. The Stoic influence, however, does not prevent Marcus from approvingly quoting Epicurus on ethical matters (as Seneca had); in addition to Epictetus and Epicurus, Marcus quotes liberally from such figures as Antisthenes, Chrysippus, Democritus, Euripides, Heraclitus, Homer, and Plato. From Book I of the Meditations we also learn that Marcus' political heroes included republican opponents of kingship: he thanks his adoptive brother Severus not only for exemplifying the love of justice and the vision of a constitution based on equality before the law, but also for the knowledge of Brutus (assassin of Julius Caesar), Cato, Dion (more likely of Prusa than of Syracuse), (Publius) Thrasea, and Helvidius (i.14). Consonant with this, he warns himself to see to it that he does not become ‘Caesarified’ (that is, act like a dictator, vi.30).

Source  http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/marcus-aurelius/
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1247 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?