e
s
s
e
lrob lrob
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
13 years ago
I apologise if this has an obvious simple answer- I have been looking at this and cannot figure it out, I'm sure it has a very straightforward answer.

I have always been taught than an amino acid looks like this:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Alpha-amino-acid-2D-flat.png

However, in a certain lecture, the amino acids are portrayed like this
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A-amino-acid.png

In the latter, it seems there is a missing hydrogen atom, and that the valency of the carbon atom is not satisfied. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Read 1348 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
The former is correct. The latter is missing a hydrogen at alpha carbon. You're absolutely right.

Bio_man 8)
lrob Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thank you for confirming this bio_man, It doesn't seem to make sense, however, the latter diagram is fairly common in textbooks etc., I have seen many diagrams of it. When I searchedfor the latter picture, I googled "Amino acids" and it was in the first result page. I wonder why this is such a common mistake.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
It's because the structure is so common. In fact, most structural diagrams don't include hydrogens because they assume the reader knows that carbon and hydrogen are typically covalently bonded together. Makes the diagram easier to read. But on a test, always draw the one with the hydrogen bonded to the alpha carbon. It's important for the teacher to see it.
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Please mark as solved.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  943 People Browsing
 121 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 303