× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
nurse2mrow nurse2mrow
wrote...
Rep: 8 1
9 years ago
A patient with severe psoriasis who is to be treated with a systemic drug, methotrexate, anxiously asks, “Is this drug safe? Are there some side effects I need to know about?” The nurse’s best response would be:
1.   “Yes, it is used to treat cancer and psoriasis, but it has no severe side effects.”
2.   “No, it is not a cancer drug, but you should ask your physician about concerns regarding your therapy.”
3.   “We use the drug with many kinds of patients, including cancer patients. You will have periodic blood tests.”
4.   “I don’t know if it is used with cancer patients or not, but the drug can be used when conditions are as severe as yours.”

This is for my medical nursing class
Read 346 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, HA wizz
3. methotrexate is used for many conditions including cancer. blood needs to be regularly tested due to the side effects like anemia
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
Methotrexate is an immunosuppressive drug used to treat psoriasis that is nonresponsive to other protocols. Periodic blood tests are done to assess for leukopenia. Options 1 and 2 are erroneous information. Option 4 does not answer the patient’s question.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
nurse2mrow Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Thanks for assisting me on this Grinning Face
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1300 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?