p
n
C
z
Caralea Caralea
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
I currently do Year 11 Biology and I don't understand some results I got from an experiment. We learnt in class that higher temperatures speed up the rate of diffusion, but the results from my experiment didn't reflect this. For the experiment I heated up beakers of water to 40 degrees C and put an egg in each for 4 mins, then repeated the process with 80 degrees C. I also put some beakers with water and an egg in them in the fridge (5 degrees C) for 30 mins. Before and after the experiment I weighed and measured the eggs and measured the changes in the water level. The average results were:
Eggs in fridge- Lessened in size by 0.73%, Grew in weight by 1.74%, Water level lessened by -0.69.
Eggs at 40 degrees- Grew in size by 0.70%, Grew in weight by 1.70%, Water level lessened by 2.7%
Eggs at 80 degrees- Lessened in size by 0.36%, Grew in weight by 1.16%, Water level lessened by 2.1%.
I don't understand these results at all as they seem to be completely random and resemble no biological theory of my knowing. The biological report is due Monday and I have no idea why I got these results, so any help at all even if you're not sure about the answer would be very greatly appreciated as I am extremely desperate and don't want to fail!
Thanks HEAPS,
Caralea  Slight Smile
Read 2497 times
3 Replies
Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
I know it's too late but...
I am assuming the eggs had been deshelled already?  The 80 degrees could have denatured proteins that would have allowed water to pass through the membrane maybe?
Caralea Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Thanks for replying anyway Slight Smile (i.e. even though it's too late)
The eggs still had shells and I still cannot explain with theory why these results were obtained, my conclusion is that it was not conducted validly- other factors may have affected the results more than the temperature of the water. Oh well.
Thanks anyway for offering your ideas, it is greatly appreciated even after my initial reason for asking the question is no longer important (:
Answer accepted by topic starter
lewislewis
wrote...
Valued Member
Top Poster
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free