× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
Potently Potently
wrote...
13 years ago
Okay so I have a test soon and I was just wondering if anyone could help me with with any of these questions. I understand the urinary system and how it works its just that when it comes to applying it to questions i'm a little bit stuck.

1. A drug that inhibits the formation of ATP by the cells of the proximal tubule is introduced into the nephron. How will the drug affect urine formation? Provide a complete physiological example.
- I know that ATP is used in the proximal because it is needed to actively transport certain materials out so that they can be reabsorbed.

2. A blood clot lodges in the renal artery and restricts blood flow to the kidney. Explain why this condition leads to high blood pressure.

4. Substance T is present in the urine. Does this prove that it was filtered at the glomerulus?
- Does everything that's present in urine have to be filtered first? I dont get it.

5. Substance V is not normally present in the urine. Does this prove that it is neither filtered in the glomerulus nor secreted in the tubules?
- I dont know.

6. A patient has a tumor in the adrenal gland that continuously secretes large amounts of aldosterone. What effects does this have on the total amount of sodium in her body?
- Doesn't aldosterone increase the reabsorption of Na+?

Ugh any help would be great, thanks. Slight Smile

Read 2984 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
1)  Urine production would increase. Salt, amino acids, and glucose are actively transported from the nephron in the area of  the proximal tubule. The reduced active transport capabilities, due to the inhibition of ATP formation, would mean a  higher solute concentration (increased osmotic pressure) in the nephron. Because of the higher osmotic pressure in the nephron, less water is reabsorbed, increasing urine production.

2) The reduced blood flow to the kidney would be detected by the juxtaglomerular apparati. Renin would be released, converting angiotensinogen to angiotensin. The angiotensin causes constriction of local arterioles (this increases blood pressure) and initiates the release of aldosterone from the adrenal cortex. Aldosterone, by increasing Na+ transport from the nephrons, increases water reabsorption, which helps elevate blood pressure.

3) No. It could have passed into the nephron via secretion in other regions of the nephron.

4) It could have been reabsorbed after being filtered into the glomerulus.

5) Aldosterone regulates balance of sodium and potassium. Aldosterone stimulates Na+ absorption and K+ excretion in the kidney. This happens because the cell transcribes and translates more ion transporters to be inserted in the membrane. Aldosterone targets the principal cells of the distal tubule and collecting ducts, binding to a cytoplasmic hormone receptor and entering the nucleus to stimulate transcription of genes involved in ion transport.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1255 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?