a
t
i
r
anr17 anr17
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A mother wants to breastfeed her baby born with a cleft lip and a cleft palate and asks the nurse if this will be possible. Which of the following is the nurse's best response?

a. It will be easier on you and the baby will get better nutrition if you bottle feed.
  b. I wish you could breastfeed, but in this case it is going to be impossible.
  c. It may be possible to breastfeed your baby. I will help you. If it does not work out, you can use a breast pump and feed breast milk using a bottle and special nipples.
  d. It is done in rare cases there a mother is determined to breastfeed and willing to keep offering the breast for several days even then the baby is not nursing well.
Read 45 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
C

Feedback
A Incorrect. It will be easier on you and the baby will get better nutrition if you bottle feed is not the best response. Saying the baby will get better nutrition if she bottle feeds is not necessarily true. Breast milk has many advantages over formula. It contains immunologic and antibacterial components not present in formula. Breast milk protein is a more complete protein and is more easily digested than the protein in formula.
B Incorrect. I wish you could breastfeed, but in this case it is going to be impossible may be inaccurate because breastfeeding may be possible.
C Correct. The nurse's best response is It may be possible to breastfeed your baby. I will help you. If it does not work out, you can use a breast pump and feed breast milk using a bottle and special nipples. Breastfeeding may be possible if the baby has a small cleft lip and palate.
D Incorrect. This is not the nurse's best response.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1274 People Browsing
Related Images