a
t
i
r
shangriphysics shangriphysics
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
What encases/surrounds the alveoli, or what are the lobes made of that encase the alveoli and bronchi? Are they smooth muscle that expands during inspiration?
Read 531 times
5 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
There no smooth muscle present in the alveolar wall. Smooth muscle greatly hinder the efficiency of gas exchange as it thicken the diffusion surface.

The alveoli consist of an epithelial layer and extracellular matrix surrounded by capillaries.

The alveoli consist of an epithelial layer and extracellular matrix surrounded by capillaries. In some alveolar walls there are pores between alveoli called pores of Kohn.

There are three major alveolar cell types in the alveolar wall (pneumocytes):

* Type I (Squamous Alveolar) cells that form the structure of an alveolar wall
* Type II (Great Alveolar) cells that secrete pulmonary surfactant to lower the surface tension of water and allows the membrane to separate, thereby increasing the capability to exchange gases. Surfactant is continuously released by exocytosis. It forms an underlying aqueous protein-containing hypophase and an overlying phospholipid film composed primarily of dipalmitoyl phosphatidylcholine.
* Macrophages that destroy foreign material, such as bacteria.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
9 years ago
Hi Padre,

Based on the pictures online, it shows a lung with a tree like branches that imbed into the lung. The tree like branches are the alveolar cells/walls and bronchi. However, in the picture there seems to be pink stuff enshrouding the tree of alveolar and bronchi, and that looks like different cells unrelated to the alveolar. Also, the  visceral pleura seems to be attached to something other than the alveolar?

Is the whole entire lung just really entirely composed of type 1 and type II alveolar cells? 
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
Is the whole entire lung just really entirely composed of type 1 and type II alveolar cells?

No, the lungs are composed of various specialized cells and tissues.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Answer accepted by topic starter
doubleudoubleu
wrote...
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 320 words.
Source  http://www.bartleby.com/107/240.html
When you like a flower, you just pluck it out.
But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
The one who understands this, understands life.

- That's the difference between I like you and I love you.