Top Posters
Since Sunday
PRGirl PRGirl
wrote...
9 years ago
A set of final exam scores in an organic chemistry course was found to be normally distributed, with a mean of 73 and a standard deviation of 8. What is the probability of getting a score of 68 or less on this exam? Place your answer, rounded to 4 decimal places in the blank. For example, 0.3456 would be a legitimate entry.
Read 546 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
AlexxAlexx
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
Top Poster
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 120 words and 1 attached file(s).
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.

Related Topics

PRGirl Author
wrote...
9 years ago
You will probably use the z-test (or whatever it is called).

We have: z= (x-μ)/σ      μ is the mean, σ is standard deviation.
z= (x-μ)/σ = (68 - 73)/8 = -5/8 = -0,625

Now, the problem is that I don't have such accurate tables to find 4 decimals. The most presice answer I could find (using an online calculator) was 0,266. (see attachment). I guess you have the nessecary tables to find the answer, knowing that z=-0,625.

Correction: It seems that the calculator I used ( http://www.mathcracker.com/normal_probability.php ) is showing results with 4 decimals. It just happened that the answer is 0,266. Check your tables to be sure though.

Wow, thank you so much you totally helped me on this. I found another calculator that gave me the 4 digits its here...

http://www.mathportal.org/calculators/statistics-calculator/normal-distribution-calculator.php

I was able to get the right answer because of your help. Thank you so much!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1299 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4