t
i
r
oblique101 oblique101
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
General Chemistry I question:

A 500 mg tablet of an antacid containing Mg(OH)2, Al(OH)3, and an inert "binder" was dissolved in 50.0 mL of 0.500M HCl. The resulting solution, which was acidic, needed 30.9 mL of 0.255M NaOH for neutralization. Calculate the number of moles of OH- ions in the tablet. Also, if the tablet contains 5.0% binder, how many milligrams of Mg(OH)2 and how many of Al(OH)3 does the tablet contain?

I'm so upset I didn't know how to answer this in my test ;_;
Read 1619 times
6 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
ortho2122ortho2122
wrote...
Valued Member
Rep: 8 0
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, ortho2122
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 240 words.

Related Topics

oblique101 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
You ought to take a shot at it. First, consider how many protons (H+) you added when you dissolved the tablet in 50 ml of 0.5 M HCl. But you over-titrated the OH- by some amount because the solution was still acidic - if you had added exactly the same number of protons as you had hydroxide ions to begin with, the pH of the solution would have been 7. So now you add back enough OH- in 30.9 ml of 0.255 M sodium hydroxide to bring the solution to neutrality. That tells you how many more protons there were in 50 ml of .5M HCl than there were hydroxide ions in the original solution. Subtracting the extras from the total number of protons added tells you how many hydroxide ions there were, and since all of those ions must have come from the tablet, that will be the answer to the first part.

The second part might have more than one correct answer, but the simplest one is to subtract out the weight of the 5% binder from the 500 mg tablet leaving you with the weight of active ingredients. Then note that 2/5 of all the hydroxide ions must have come from Mg(OH)2 while 3/5 must have come from Al(OH)3.

Thank you for explaining this question so thoroughly !

I figured out how many moles there were in the tablet by subtracting nHCl by nNaOH, but I don't know how to get the moles of OH- from there Confounded Face

wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, ortho2122
But that IS the number of moles of OH- in the tablet. So you have the answer to the first part of the problem. The second part of the problem isn't calculating hydroxides, but uses the hydroxide stoicheometry to figure out the % of the active ingredients that are attributable to which ingredient. After you subtract the 5% of 500 mg of tablet due to binder, of that weight, 2/5 or 40% of it is Mg(OH)2 and 3/5 or 60% is Al(OH)3.
oblique101 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
But that IS the number of moles of OH- in the tablet. So you have the answer to the first part of the problem. The second part of the problem isn't calculating hydroxides, but uses the hydroxide stoicheometry to figure out the % of the active ingredients that are attributable to which ingredient. After you subtract the 5% of 500 mg of tablet due to binder, of that weight, 2/5 or 40% of it is Mg(OH)2 and 3/5 or 60% is Al(OH)3.
Thanks! I was able to do the problem this morning after some sleep Slight Smile
wrote...
9 years ago
the solution you guys gave is wrong, you cannot confirm that exactly 2/5 of the solution is Mg(OH)2 as the question did not state that the ratio of Mg(OH)2 and Al(OH)3 is 1:1
wrote...
3 years ago
Its okay
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1208 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?