t
i
r
r
Ebony321 Ebony321
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
How is the timing of gamete formation in females different than that in males?

What will be an ideal response?
Read 62 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
In males, spermatogenesis begins at puberty and takes about 48 days: 16 for meiosis I, 16 for meiosis II, and 16 to convert the spermatid into the mature sperm. Each of the four products of meiosis forms sperm.

The timing of gamete formation in females is much different than in males. In oogenesis, cells in the ovaries (called oogonia) begin meiosis I during embryonic development and then stop. After puberty, usually one oocyte per menstrual cycle completes the first meiotic division, is released from the ovary, and moves into the oviduct. Fertilization takes place in the oviduct. Fertilized eggs quickly complete meiosis II, producing a diploid zygote. Unfertilized eggs disintegrate within 24 hours after ovulation. Each month until menopause, another oocyte completes meiosis I and is released from the ovary. Altogether, a woman produces and releases about 450 oocytes during the reproductive phase of her life.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1391 People Browsing
 105 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?