a
t
i
r
Cupcake16 Cupcake16
wrote...
Rep: 0 3
9 years ago
do not know how to access my book or i wouldnt need help.

This week’s reading provides overview of the changing boundaries of criminology, counting crime and measuring criminal behavior, and the schools of thought throughout history pertaining to the study of those that commit crime. After reviewing the reading for week 1, as well as the week 1 forum discussion articles in the lesson for this week, discuss/debate with your classmates what the text has to say about the early history of criminal theory and its application to crime control i.e., Positivist School vs. Classical School, plus gender, class and race as they relate to crime. Also, discuss if racial profiling is justifiable? Ever? If the answer is yes, discuss how effective the profiling must be to remain justified? If the answer is no, do the events of 9/11 suggest a justification for other forms of ethnic profiling?
Read 2407 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
I think it is justified to profile young men as more likely to be criminals than young women, or old men. I think someone who is in a suit is less likely to be a criminal than someone wearing a wife-beater and baggy pants. Cops cannot pay attention to absolutely every person they see, so they choose their battles. If someone argues that racial profiling is unacceptable, then they must say that ALL profiling is unacceptable.
wrote...
9 years ago
Racial Profiling is comparative to saying that your skin color determines your actions which is completely absurd.

Racial Profiling also takes away freedom. The innocent until proven guilty is an important standard in American society. Racial Profiling takes this away. It is asking our officers to assume that members of a certain race are guilty until proven innocent which is a sad reality.
wrote...
9 years ago
If statistics indicate that individuals of a certain race or ethnicity are more likely to commit certain types of crimes, it only makes sense to use that information to help stop the crimes in question.

Besides that, there is no way to prevent it 100 percent of the time, so we may as well embrace it for the benefits it can offer.
wrote...
9 years ago
No, racial profiling cannot ever be justified, because it goes against what America stands for. America stands for freedom and liberty. Racial profiling is the opposite of freedom. People should be judged based on their own individual behavior. People should not be judged based on the prejudices of people who enforce the law.
wrote...
8 years ago
if it can save lives, and stop crimes before they happen, then by all means PROFILE away.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1206 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?