t
i
r
AugustePiccard AugustePiccard
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
13 years ago
Hello All,

This thing is growing in my aquarium, on a bass turd, I clean the tank regularly, but I must've been missing this corner.  It is about the size of a marble, in a freshwater aquarium at room temp.  Any idea what this detritivore is?
Read 1454 times
6 Replies
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and he'll fish for a lifetime.

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Since you said bass, it's saltwater correct? I'm guessing it's a fungus. Fungus looks like mold or cotton growing on the fish or its excrements. You can get treatments at a fish store, but it takes a long time to treat. I think that fungus is called Saprolegnia.

wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
Since you said bass, it's saltwater correct? I'm guessing it's a fungus. Fungus looks like mold or cotton growing on the fish or its excrements. You can get treatments at a fish store, but it takes a long time to treat. I think that fungus is called Saprolegnia.

remove it before it causes harm. like ^ he said, it could be a mold or even "ich" which is a protozoan parasite Ichthyophthirius multifilis, but most likely a fungus.
wrote...
13 years ago
Not a sea bass, Largemouth bass, Micropterus salmoides.  It's freshwater.   Do you think I'll need to treat the water?  It's not enough to just remove it?
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and he'll fish for a lifetime.
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
Get rid of it as soon as possible because if it's a parasitic protozoan, whatever that thing is could hatch and if it does, it could start growing on your fish. These parasites have a life cycle, so its possible that its in its growth stage (eggs). Remove it and filter the water. Moreover, check if there are any white spots or fungi growing on your fish.
wrote...
13 years ago
I removed it and changed the water right after I took the picture.  I didn't notice anything growing on the fish. Do you think I'll need to treat the water further?
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
Yes, you need to get antifungal tablets from the pet store. For now, you can continue using the tank. Keep the water clean and do not overfeed the fish since some fungus could actually come from the food source itself.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1277 People Browsing
Related Images