a
t
i
r
stevepham stevepham
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
9 years ago
So everyone I am wondering. I do know the difference between Polime sturctue and lattice structure. Let me give out 2 typical examples for these 2 structures.

Polime: Nilon.
Lattice: Diamond(contain full of cacbon)

=> Based on my knowledge. These 2 structure are "one" since each of atoms stick together as one and form a small piece of diamond or nilon.
Read 449 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
By Polime, do you mean polymer?
stevepham Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Yes I mean polymer. Slight Smile                                  .
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
They are two different things. From my understanding, you want to know the difference between a polymer and a lattice structure.

A polymer is a very large, chain-like molecule made up of monomers, which are small molecules. It can be naturally occurring or synthetic.

Notice the repeating molecules forming a large chain using hydrogen bonds.

You can think of a lattice like graph paper - it's a bunch of repeating units in a regular arrangement. Under the right conditions, you can add some more units to the lattice, like taping on another sheet of paper. Note that a lattice implies that you have a solid substance, because otherwise, the units can move around without forming a regular arrangement.

Part of the definition of a compound is that it has more than one element. So O2 is not a compound, but it is a molecule. Since it's a gas under normal conditions, it doesn't form a regular arrangement of repeating units - all the molecules are on their own.

H2O is a molecule, and a compound, since it has more than one element. In liquid or gas form, it doesn't have a regular arrangement, but when it freezes, it does freeze into a regular arrangement of molecules - that's why you get things like ice crystals.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1238 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292