t
i
r
r
aureliastev13 aureliastev13
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A nurse is providing care to a 6-year-old child with a broken arm. The nurse notices multiple bruises. The child says, my father got mad because I was bad, and he hit and broke my arm so that I would remember to be good..

What is the best nursing action? a. Chart that the child is a victim of abuse.
  b. Do nothing because the nurse cannot prove the child was abused.
  c. Report the situation to the appropriate au-thorities.
  d. Ignore what the child said because little children often lie.

A graduate nurse is preparing to start a first nursing job. What action would be the best legal safeguard for the graduate nurse to take?

a. Competent practice c. A valid license
  b. A legal contract d. Following man-agement policies

Which error in judgment would be the most serious for the nurse defendant in a legal case?

a. Discussing the case with the plaintiff
  b. Tampering with the chart
  c. Hiding information from the plaintiff's attorney
  d. Being discourteous on the witness stand

What is a correct statement regarding a nurse who acts beyond the scope of practice?

a. Demonstrates what a good nurse he or she can be
  b. Provides enriched services to patients who would not otherwise receive them
  c. May make other nurses angry because of the increased expectations created
  d. May be disciplined by the board of nurs-ing
Read 46 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
C
States have many statutes that require health care providers to report certain incidences or occur-rences. If the provider fails to report as required and a person is injured, there can be negligence per se. It important for nurses to be aware of the reporting statutes in the state in which they are practicing. In most states, it is the law to report evidence of child or adult abuse. It is not appro-priate to chart a decision that the child is a victim of abuse but rather to accurately describe inju-ries and comments that are made. Nurses should listen to what the patient has to saywhether the patient is a child or adult.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

A
The best legal safeguard is competent practice. Practicing within the parameters of the state's Nurse Practice Act, performing care based on established policies and procedures, and perform-ing as a reasonable nurse are the best ways for a nurse to safeguard against legal action. It is im-portant to maintain a current license and follow management policies; however, the best safe-guard is being competent. A legal contract is not necessary for all situations and is not necessarily the best legal safeguard.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

B
The patient's chart is a legal document. Changing or tampering with the chart would be in viola-tion of the standards of practice, and the Nurse Practice Act and would not be considered what a reasonable nurse would do.. The nurse is expected to perform as a reasonable nurse would. If your actions are not those of a reasonable nurse and this causes someone to be injured, you can be sued. Being discourteous on the witness stand may not be professional. It is also not appropriate to discuss the case with the plaintiff or hide information; however, tampering with the chart is a more serious error in judgment.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

D
States may regulate nursing practice by controlling the scope of practice and determining the specific activities for each level of nursing. In most states, the Nurse Practice Act provides defi-nitions and scope of practice for each level of nursing practice. The power of the board to discip-line can have an adverse effect on the nurse's ability to practice. Practicing beyond the scope of practice does not demonstrate what a good nurse the person is and does not provide enriched services. Other nurses would not be angry at increased expectations but at the foolishness of the nurse practicing beyond the scope of practice.
aureliastev13 Author
wrote...
6 years ago
I just wanted to write to say thanks a bunch for the answer!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1165 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372