a
t
i
r
jibbyjam1 jibbyjam1
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
Despite telling his social worker that he wasn't disappointed about being fired from his job, Mike had tears in his eyes. This is an example of a(n):

A) behavioral discrepancy.
  B) affective discrepancy.
  C) cognitive discrepancy.
  D) role discrepancy.

In the context of social work, which of the following is a guideline for employing confrontation effectively?

A) Use confrontation when clients are experiencing extreme emotional strain.
  B) Use confrontation as often as possible.
  C) Expect immediate change after confrontation.
  D) Encourage self-confrontation whenever possible.

In response to his client's behavior, a social worker said, When your blood alcohol level is high and you operate a car, you are endangering others and breaking the law. The social worker's statement is an example of:

A) inductive questioning.
  B) self-confrontation.
  C) passive confrontation.
  D) assertive confrontation.

Do you ever find it easier to bring up a problem with another person when you have had whisky? This statement by a social worker is an example of _____.

A) self-confrontation
  B) dysfunctional communication
  C) inductive questioning
  D) aggressive questioning

Social workers can encourage clients to engage in self-confrontation by:

A) employing the aggressive-passive style of communication.
  B) asking them questions that cause them to reflect on the relationship between their behaviors and their own values.
  C) making several additive empathic responses in succession when meeting a client for the first time.
  D) phrasing interpretive responses to the client's opinion in absolute terms without leaving any scope for confusion rather than using tentative terms.

Laura, Claire's teenage client, expresses disappointment that she has not achieved her targeted goals. Claire reminds Laura that she has managed to overcome her truancy and has passed all her exams. This is an example of:

A) rejecting the client's perceptions.
  B) focusing on the strengths and potentialities of the client.
  C) reframing the problem.
  D) arguing with the client.

_____ describe clients' experiences according to a social worker's conceptual vocabulary.

A) Assertive confrontations
  B) Semantic interpretations
  C) Propositional statements
  D) Discrepant viewpoints

The three components of empathy are affective sharing, self-awareness, and _____.

A) additive empathy
  B) mental flexibility
  C) cognitive empathy
  D) semantic interpretations.

You should avoid using confrontation when clients are:

A) contemplating illegal behavior.
  B) experiencing extreme emotional strain.
  C) contemplating actions that will harm others.
  D) considering actions that are inconsistent with their own goals.

Lionel, a social work practitioner, has a meeting with Naomi, a client whose children have been placed in out-of-home care. The court has ruled that her children cannot stay with her until she fulfills certain conditions. However, Lionel finds that Naomi is not taking the effort to fulfill these conditions. Despite her complacency, Naomi states that she would like to get her children back. Choose the most appropriate assertive response that can be used by Lionel in this situation.

A) This sounds like an unproductive week. Why haven't you done anything that you're required to do?
  B) I hear you saying that you want your children; however, I fail to understand your complacent attitude toward the matter. Do you hate your children? Let me know, and I will communicate this to the judicial authorities.
  C) Naomi, I am concerned about your situation. You want your children back but have not worked toward that goal. I am afraid you might lose your kids forever if you continue to ignore the court's directions.
  D) Do the right thing, Naomi, and get things ready for your kids.
Read 271 times
3 Replies