t
i
r
r
lover lover
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Two harmonic waves traveling in opposite directions interfere to produce a standing wave described by y = 4sin(5x)cos(6t) where x is in m and t is in s. What is the approximate frequency of the interfering waves?
 a. 3 Hz
  b. 1 Hz
  c. 6 Hz
  d. 12 Hz
  e. 5 Hz

[Ques. 2] Two harmonic waves traveling in opposite directions interfere to produce a standing wave described by y = 3sin(2x)cos(5t), where x is in m and t is in s. What is the wavelength of the interfering waves?
 a. 3.14 m
  b. 1.00 m
  c. 6.28 m
  d. 12.0 m
  e. 2.00 m

[Ques. 3] A circus performer stretches a tightrope between two towers. He strikes one end of the rope and sends a wave along it toward the other tower. He notes that it takes 0.8 s for the wave to travel the 20 m to the opposite tower. If one meter of the rope has a mass of 0.35 kg, find the tension in the tightrope.

[Ques. 4] Bats can detect small objects such as insects that are of a size approximately that of one wavelength. If bats emit a chirp at a frequency of 60 kHz, and the speed of sound in air is 340 m/s, what is the smallest size insect they can detect?

[Ques. 5] If the breakers at a beach are separated by 5.0 m and hit shore with a frequency of 0.20 Hz, with what speed are they traveling?

[Ques. 6] Earthquake waves are classified as P waves and S waves. Which of the following statements is true about these waves?
 a. The P wave is transverse as is the S wave.
  b. The P wave is longitudinal as is the S wave.
  c. The P wave is transverse and the S wave is longitudinal.
  d. The P wave is longitudinal and the S wave is transverse.
  e. Both the P and S waves are mixtures of longitudinal and transverse waves.

[Ques. 7] You are holding on to one end of a long string that is fastened to a rigid steel light pole. After producing a wave pulse that was 5 mm high and 4 cm wide, you want to produce a pulse that is 6 cm wide and 7 mm high. You must move your hand up and down once,
 a. the same distance up as before, but take a shorter time.
  b. the same distance up as before, but take a longer time.
  c. a smaller distance up, but take a shorter time.
  d. a greater distance up, but take a longer time.
  e. a greater distance up, but take the same time.

[Ques. 8] You are holding on to one end of a long string that is fastened to a rigid steel light pole. After producing a wave pulse that was 5 mm high and 4 cm wide, you want to produce a pulse that is 6 cm wide but still 5 mm high. You must move your hand up and down once,

[Ques. 9] You are holding on to one end of a long string that is fastened to a rigid steel light pole. After producing a wave pulse that was 5 mm high and 4 cm wide, you want to produce a pulse that is 4 cm wide but 7 mm high. You must move your hand up and down once,

[Ques. 10] Four wave functions are given below. I. y(x, t) = 5sin(4x  20t + 4) II. y(x, t) = 5sin(3x  12t + 5) III. y(x, t) = 5cos(4x + 24t + 6) IV. y(x, t) = 14cos(2x  8t + 3) Use this exhibit to answer the following question(s). Rank the wave functions in order of the magnitude of the wavelengths, from least to greatest.
 a. IV, II, I, III
  b. IV, I, II, III
  c. I, II, III, IV
  d. IV, II, III = I
  e. I = III, II, IV
Read 95 times
3 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
renaatvdwrenaatvdw
wrote...
Rep: 4 0