a
t
i
r
raffat naseem raffat naseem
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Which of the following terms are phase variables? I. inspiration II. flow III. cycle IV. trigger

A. I, II only
  B. III, IV only
  C. I, III only
  D. II, IV only

Q. 2  Which of the following statements accurately describe closed-loop control? Closed-loop control: I. maintains consistent inspiratory pressure, volume, or flow waveforms in the presence of changing lung compliance and airway resistance. II. measures the output, and compares it with a reference value. a. III. lacks a stream of information from the output to generate a new input. IV. provides a steady output in the presence of unanticipated disturbances.

A. I, IV only
  B. I, II, III only
  C. I, II, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

Q. 3  How should a ventilator breath that has the following characteristics during a ventilator-assisted inspiration be classified? I. I. Pressure waveform changes when patient's lung compliance and airway resistance change. II. II. Volume waveform remains constant despite changes in patient's pulmonary compliance and airway resistance. III. III. Volume is measured, and used to control the volume waveform.

A. pressure controlled
  B. volume controlled
  C. time controlled
  D. flow controlled

Q. 4  Which factor(s) in the equation of motion remain constant? I. time II. elastance III. flow IV. airway resistance

A. II only
  B. I, III only
  C. II, IV only
  D. III, IV only

Q. 5  A mechanical ventilator that is connected to a 50 psig gas source, and uses an electrically powered solenoid valve to control the respiratory frequency and I:E ratio can be described as _________________________.

A. pneumatically powered
  B. electrically powered
  C. flow cycled
  D. open-loop controlled
Read 43 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
(Answer to Q. 1)  ANS: BI. Incorrect response: Inspiration and exhalation are phases of the respiratory cycle, not phase variables.
II. Incorrect response: Flow is not a phase variable.
III. Correct response: Cycle and trigger are referred to as phase variables in the context described below. Every breath has four phases: (1) the change from exhalation to inspiration (trigger), (2) the variable that reaches a plateau before the end of inspiration, but is not responsible for terminating inspiration (limit), (3) the change from inspiration to exhalation (cycle), and (4) baseline (i.e., PEEP).
IV. Correct response: The term trigger applies to the phase variable that causes inspiration to begin. Inspiration can be either pressure, volume, flow, or time triggered.

(Answer to Q. 2)  ANS: C

(Answer to Q. 3)  ANS: B

(Answer to Q. 4)  ANS: C

(Answer to Q. 5)  ANS: CA. Correct response: Pneumatically powered ventilators operate via a 50 psig gas source and generally incorporate a high-pressure reducing regulator to reduce the high source pressure to a lower working pressure. The solenoid is electrically powered to perform certain ventilator functions, but electricity is not the power that is used to perform the work of ventilating the patient.
B. Incorrect response: Electrically powered ventilators employ alternating current of 110 to 115 volts. This electrical power is reduced and converted to direct current for the purpose of depositing air into the lungs of patients.
C. Incorrect response: A flow-controlled ventilator maintains a constant flow throughout the inspiratory phase despite changes in lung compliance and airway resistance.
D. Incorrect response: Open-loop ventilation refers to systems that are unintelligent and require the clinician to make ventilator adjustments when certain conditions change. Closed-loop systems are described as intelligent because they can sense a change in input, and respond accordingly to render a different output.
raffat n. Author
wrote...
6 years ago
Now I'm convinced to ask more questions Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1399 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293