a
t
i
r
Kpolizzi02 Kpolizzi02
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
After the nurse has finished teaching a patient who has a new prescription for exenatide (Byetta), which patient statement indicates that the teaching has been effective?

a. I may feel hungrier than usual when I take this medicine.
  b. I will not need to worry about hypoglycemia with the Byetta.
  c. I should take my daily aspirin at least an hour before the Byetta.
  d. I will take the pill at the same time I eat breakfast in the morning.

Question 2

A 34-year-old has a new diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. The nurse will discuss the need to schedule a dilated eye exam

a. every 2 years.
  b. as soon as possible.
  c. when the patient is 39 years old.
  d. within the first year after diagnosis.

Question 3

When a patient with type 2 diabetes is admitted for a cholecystectomy, which nursing action can the nurse delegate to a licensed practical/vocational nurse (LPN/LVN)?

a. Communicate the blood glucose level and insulin dose to the circulating nurse in surgery.
  b. Discuss the reason for the use of insulin therapy during the immediate postoperative period.
  c. Administer the prescribed lispro (Humalog) insulin before transporting the patient to surgery.
  d. Plan strategies to minimize the risk for hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia during the postoperative period.

Question 4

An active 28-year-old male with type 1 diabetes is being seen in the endocrine clinic. Which finding may indicate the need for a change in therapy?

a. Hemoglobin A1C level 6.2
  b. Blood pressure 146/88 mmHg
  c. Heart rate at rest 58 beats/minute
  d. High density lipoprotein (HDL) level 65 mg/dL

Question 5

Which laboratory value reported to the nurse by the unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP) indicates the most urgent need for the nurse's assessment of the patient?

a. Bedtime glucose of 140 mg/dL
  b. Noon blood glucose of 52 mg/dL
  c. Fasting blood glucose of 130 mg/dL
  d. 2-hr postprandial glucose of 220 mg/dL

Question 6

A female patient is scheduled for an oral glucose tolerance test. Which information from the patient's health history is most important for the nurse to communicate to the health care provider?

a. The patient uses oral contraceptives.
  b. The patient runs several days a week.
  c. The patient has been pregnant three times.
  d. The patient has a family history of diabetes.
Read 42 times
3 Replies