× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
AzureRanthos AzureRanthos
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A patient who has just been admitted with pulmonary edema is scheduled to receive the following medications. Which medication should the nurse question before giving?

a. Furosemide (Lasix) 60 mg
  b. Captopril (Capoten) 25 mg
  c. Digoxin (Lanoxin) 0.125 mg
  d. Carvedilol (Coreg) 3.125 mg

Question 2

A patient with heart failure has a new order for captopril (Capoten) 12.5 mg PO. After administering the first dose and teaching the patient about the drug, which statement by the patient indicates that teaching has been effective?

a. I will be sure to take the medication with food.
  b. I will need to eat more potassium-rich foods in my diet.
  c. I will call for help when I need to get up to use the bathroom.
  d. I will expect to feel more short of breath for the next few days.

Question 3

Which action should the nurse include in the plan of care when caring for a patient admitted with acute decompensated heart failure (ADHF) who is receiving nesiritide (Natrecor)?

a. Monitor blood pressure frequently.
  b. Encourage patient to ambulate in room.
  c. Titrate nesiritide slowly before stopping.
  d. Teach patient about home use of the drug.

Question 4

Which diagnostic test will be most useful to the nurse in determining whether a patient admitted with acute shortness of breath has heart failure?

a. Serum troponin
  b. Arterial blood gases
  c. B-type natriuretic peptide
  d. 12-lead electrocardiogram
Read 27 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
The answer to question 1

ANS: D
Although carvedilol is appropriate for the treatment of chronic heart failure, it is not used for patients with acute decompensated heart failure (ADHF) because of the risk of worsening the heart failure. The other medications are appropriate for the patient with ADHF.

The answer to question 2

ANS: C
Captopril can cause hypotension, especially after the initial dose, so it is important that the patient not get up out of bed without assistance until the nurse has had a chance to evaluate the effect of the first dose. The angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors are potassium sparing, and the nurse should not teach the patient to purposely increase sources of dietary potassium. Increased shortness of breath is expected with the initiation of -adrenergic blocker therapy for heart failure, not for ACE inhibitor therapy. ACE inhibitors are best absorbed when taken an hour before eating.

The answer to question 3

ANS: A
Nesiritide is a potent arterial and venous dilator, and the major adverse effect is hypotension. Because the patient is likely to have orthostatic hypotension, the patient should not be encouraged to ambulate. Nesiritide does not require titration and is used for ADHF but not in a home setting.

The answer to question 4

ANS: C
B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) is secreted when ventricular pressures increase, as they do with heart failure. Elevated BNP indicates a probable or very probable diagnosis of heart failure. A twelve-lead electrocardiogram, arterial blood gases, and troponin may also be used in determining the causes or effects of heart failure but are not as clearly diagnostic of heart failure as BNP.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1279 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352