a
t
i
r
drewsy20 drewsy20
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A nurse cares for a client who has pyelonephritis. The client states, I am embarrassed to talk about my symptoms. How should the nurse respond?

a. I am a professional. Your symptoms will be kept in confidence.
  b. I understand. Elimination is a private topic and shouldn't be discussed.
  c. Take your time. It is okay to use words that are familiar to you.
  d. You seem anxious. Would you like a nurse of the same gender to care for you?

Question 2

A nurse assesses a client who has a family history of polycystic kidney disease (PKD). For which clinical manifestations should the nurse assess? (Select all that apply.)

a. Nocturia
  b. Flank pain
  c. Increased abdominal girth
  d. Dysuria
  e. Hematuria
  f.
  Diarrhea

Question 3

A nurse cares for a client who is recovering after a nephrostomy tube was placed 6 hours ago. The nurse notes drainage in the tube has decreased from 40 mL/hr to 12 mL over the last hour. Which action should the nurse take?

a. Document the finding in the client's record.
  b. Evaluate the tube as working in the hand-off report.
  c. Clamp the tube in preparation for removing it.
  d. Assess the client's abdomen and vital signs.

Question 4

After teaching a client with hypertension secondary to renal disease, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a need for additional teaching?

a. I can prevent more damage to my kidneys by managing my blood pressure.
  b. If I have increased urination at night, I need to drink less fluid during the day.
  c. I need to see the registered dietitian to discuss limiting my protein intake.
  d. It is important that I take my antihypertensive medications as directed.

Question 5

A nurse assesses a client who is recovering from a radical nephrectomy for renal cell carcinoma. The nurse notes that the client's blood pressure has decreased from 134/90 to 100/56 mm Hg and urine output is 20 mL for this past hour.

Which action should the nurse take?
  a.
  Position the client to lay on the surgical incision.
  b.
  Measure the specific gravity of the client's urine.
  c.
  Administer intravenous pain medications.
  d.
  Assess the rate and quality of the client's pulse.

Question 6

After teaching a client with nephrotic syndrome and a normal glomerular filtration, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a correct understanding of the nutritional therapy for this condition?

a. I must decrease my intake of fat.
  b. I will increase my intake of protein.
  c. A decreased intake of carbohydrates will be required.
  d. An increased intake of vitamin C is necessary.

Question 7

An emergency department nurse assesses a client with kidney trauma and notes that the client's abdomen is tender and distended and blood is visible at the urinary meatus.

Which prescription should the nurse consult the provider about before implementation?
  a.
  Assessing vital signs every 15 minutes
  b.
  Inserting an indwelling urinary catheter
  c.
  Administering intravenous fluids at 125 mL/hr
  d.
  Typing and crossmatching for blood products
Read 27 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
The answer to question 1

ANS: C
Clients may be uncomfortable discussing issues related to elimination and the genitourinary area. The nurse should encourage the client to use language that is familiar to the client. The nurse should not make promises that cannot be kept, like keeping the client's symptoms confidential. The nurse must assess the client and cannot take the time to stop the discussion or find another nurse to complete the assessment.

The answer to question 2

ANS: B, C, E
Clients with PKD experience abdominal distention that manifests as flank pain and increased abdominal girth. Bloody urine is also present with tissue damage secondary to PKD. Clients with PKD often experience constipation, but would not report nocturia or dysuria.

The answer to question 3

ANS: D
The nephrostomy tube should continue to have a consistent amount of drainage. If the drainage slows or stops, it may be obstructed. The nurse must notify the provider, but first should carefully assess the client's abdomen for pain and distention and check vital signs so that this information can be reported as well. The other interventions are not appropriate.

The answer to question 4

ANS: B
The client should not restrict fluids during the day due to increased urination at night. Clients with renal disease may be prescribed fluid restrictions. These clients should be assessed thoroughly for potential dehydration. Increased nocturnal voiding can be decreased by consuming fluids earlier in the day. Blood pressure control is needed to slow the progression of renal dysfunction. When dietary protein is restricted, refer the client to the registered dietitian as needed.

The answer to question 5

ANS: D
The nurse should first fully assess the client for signs of volume depletion and shock, and then notify the provider. The radical nature of the surgery and the proximity of the surgery to the adrenal gland put the client at risk for hemorrhage and adrenal insufficiency. Hypotension is a clinical manifestation associated with both hemorrhage and adrenal insufficiency. Hypotension is particularly dangerous for the remaining kidney, which must receive adequate perfusion to function effectively. Re-positioning the client, measuring specific gravity, and administering pain medication would not provide data necessary to make an appropriate clinical decision, nor are they appropriate interventions at this time.

The answer to question 6

In nephrotic syndrome, the renal loss of protein is significant, leading to hypoalbuminemia and edema formation. If glomerular filtration is normal or near normal, increased protein loss should be matched by increased intake of protein. The client would not need to adjust fat, carbohydrates, or vitamins based on this disorder.

The answer to question 7

Clients with blood at the urinary meatus should not have a urinary catheter inserted via the urethra before additional diagnostic studies are done. The urethra could be torn. The nurse should question the provider about the need for a catheter; if one is needed, the provider can insert a suprapubic catheter. The nurse should monitor the client's vital signs closely, send blood for type and crossmatch in case the client needs blood products, and administer intravenous fluids.
drewsy20 Author
wrote...
6 years ago
Helps a lot <3 Now I'm ready for my quiz
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1059 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586