z
k
d
J
Vertzie Vertzie
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
A nurse assesses a client with diabetes mellitus who self-administers subcutaneous insulin. The nurse notes a spongy, swelling area at the site the client uses most frequently for insulin injection. Which action should the nurse take?

a. Apply ice to the site to reduce inflammation.
  b. Consult the provider for a new administration route.
  c. Assess the client for other signs of cellulitis.
  d. Instruct the client to rotate sites for insulin injection.

Question 2

A nurse assesses a client who is being treated for hyperglycemic-hyperosmolar state (HHS). Which clinical manifestation indicates to the nurse that the therapy needs to be adjusted?

a. Serum potassium level has increased.
  b. Blood osmolarity has decreased.
  c. Glasgow Coma Scale score is unchanged.
  d. Urine remains negative for ketone bodies.

Question 3

A nurse cares for a client who has diabetes mellitus. The nurse administers 6 units of regular insulin and 10 units of NPH insulin at 0700. At which time should the nurse assess the client for potential problems related to the NPH insulin?

a. 0800
  b. 1600
  c. 2000
  d. 2300

Question 4

A nurse teaches a client with diabetes mellitus about sick day management. Which statement should the nurse include in this client's teaching?

a. When ill, avoid eating or drinking to reduce vomiting and diarrhea.
  b. Monitor your blood glucose levels at least every 4 hours while sick.
  c. If vomiting, do not use insulin or take your oral antidiabetic agent.
  d. Try to continue your prescribed exercise regimen even if you are sick.

Question 5

When teaching a client recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus, the client states, I will never be able to stick myself with a needle. How should the nurse respond?

a. I can give your injections to you while you are here in the hospital.
  b. Everyone gets used to giving themselves injections. It really does not hurt.
  c. Your disease will not be managed properly if you refuse to administer the shots.
  d. Tell me what it is about the injections that are concerning you.

Question 6

After teaching a client with type 2 diabetes mellitus, the nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement made by the client indicates a need for additional teaching?

a. I need to have an annual appointment even if my glucose levels are in good control.
  b. Since my diabetes is controlled with diet and exercise, I must be seen only if I am sick.
  c. I can still develop complications even though I do not have to take insulin at this time.
  d. If I have surgery or get very ill, I may have to receive insulin injections for a short time.

Question 7

A nurse reviews the laboratory results of a client who is receiving intravenous insulin. Which should alert the nurse to intervene immediately?

a. Serum chloride level of 98 mmol/L
  b. Serum calcium level of 8.8 mg/dL
  c. Serum sodium level of 132 mmol/L
  d. Serum potassium level of 2.5 mmol/L
Read 43 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
jazzyjj1998jazzyjj1998
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 610 words.