t
i
r
r
mchico mchico
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A gerontological nurse presents at a local conference regarding recent findings in age-related hearing loss. Which age-related changes indicated in hearing loss and speech perception should the nurse include?

A) Changes to the external auditory canal and pinna
  B) Degenerative changes to the auditory brainstem
  C) Growth of longer and thicker hair in the ear canal
  D) Thickening of the tympanic membrane

Question 2

The incidence of hearing loss in a long-term care facility is high, especially among white men. What strategy should care providers adopt when communicating with older adults who have hearing loss?

A) Use less complex concepts when communicating with hearing-impaired older adults.
  B) Use a high, consistent tone and pitch when speaking to adults with hearing loss.
  C) Speak at a high volume directly into the less affected ear when talking to an older adult with a hearing deficit.
  D) Make eye contact before and during a conversation with hearing-impaired adults.

Question 3

As part of a comprehensive physical assessment of an older adult client, a nurse is performing an otoscopic examination. Which of the following assessment findings most clearly warrants further assessment and possible intervention?

A) There is a small amount of cerumen visible in the ear canal.
  B) The epithelial lining is bright red.
  C) The tympanic membrane is intact.
  D) The tympanic membrane is a pearl-gray color.

Question 4

A nurse has been caring for an 83-year-old resident of a nursing home for 2 years and has developed a high level of trust with the resident. Which of the following recent changes in the resident's behavior may signal the possibility of hearing loss?

A) The resident's statements occasionally suggest that he is not oriented to time.
  B) The resident had a recent episode where he became visibly angry at a nursing assistant.
  C) The resident's attention span is short and he is easily distracted.
  D) The resident has become increasingly disagreeable and terse in his demeanor.

Question 5

A nurse who regularly visits an adult daycare center has noted evidence of a hearing deficit in a man who has no documented history of hearing loss.

Which of the following factors should the nurse consider when attempting to ascertain the etiology of the man's hearing loss? (Select all that apply.)

A) Genetic factors
  B) Environmental conditions
  C) Fluid and electrolyte imbalances
  D) Ototoxic medications
  E) Atherosclerosis or thrombotic events

Question 6

A 76-year-old adult expresses frustration to the nurse regarding hearing loss despite a lifetime of being conscientious about avoiding known causes of hearing damage. Which of the following age-related changes may result in hearing loss?

A) Degeneration of the inner ear structures
  B) Decreased viscosity and quantity of cerumen
  C) Plaque formation and occlusion of the Eustachian tubes
  D) Hypertrophy of the external ear structures

Question 7

An 85-year-old woman who lives alone says to the nurse, There is nothing I can do about my hearing. I am 85 years old, and I am not really interested in listening to television programs anymore. Which of the following would be the nurse's best

A) You are lucky you still live alone at 85, and I understand why you don't care about the programs on television.
  B) Have you talked with your health care provider about a hearing evaluation? This would determine the problem and possible solutions to it.
  C) I know a hearing aid dealer who offers free testing. Have you thought about trying a hearing aid?
  D) Did you know that there are closed-caption television sets that would allow you to enjoy some shows?
Read 37 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
pooki15pooki15
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 540 words.