t
i
r
r
Billcat93 Billcat93
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
An older resident in a senior community tells a nurse: I am really worried. I joined an exercise class, and I just learned everyone's name yesterday, and I cannot remember them all today. Am I developing Alzheimer's disease?

The best response by the nurse is:
  a. You should be concerned. It is very un-usual to forget something that you just learned.
  b. There is no reason to be concerned. Short-term memory decreases with age.
  c. Don't worry, a decline in both short- and long-term memory is a normal part of get-ting older.
  d. Although it is normal to have some changes in memory, forgetting names is very unusual.

Question 2

Health literacy is defined as:

a. the capacity to read basic health infor-mation in order to make appropriate health decisions.
  b. the capacity to obtain, process, and under-stand basic health information needed to make appropriate health decisions.
  c. the capacity to read and write in order to access health care.
  d. the capacity to read and execute health care documents.

Question 3

The daughter of an older hospitalized patient tells a nurse: I am worried about my father. His memory is sharper when he is at home. He is forgetful, but is functional. Since he has been hos-pitalized his memory problems are much worse.

The best response by the nurse is:
  a. It is common for long-term memory to be more impacted by age-related changes than short-term memory.
  b. Memory changes are often worse when an individual is in an unfamiliar or stress-ful situation.
  c. Perhaps you are just noticing your fa-ther's memory loss now that he is hospi-talized.
  d. There is a lot of new information for your father to process here in the hospital; he is overloaded.

Question 4

A nurse completes a cultural assessment of an older adult who is being admitted to an assisted living facility. Reasons for completing a cultural assessment include: (Select all that apply.)

a. culture guides decision-making about health, illness, and preventive care.
  b. culture provides direction for individuals on how to interact during health care en-counters.
  c. culture impacts attitudes toward aging.
  d. all members of a culture react in the same way in similar situations.
  e. knowledge of culture eliminates health care disparities.

Question 5

A nurse in the ambulatory care setting is preparing to do an interview with a non-English-speaking client. The nurse secures an interpreter. In order to have the most effective interview, the nurse should do which of the following? (Select all that apply.

a. Look and speak to the interpreter
  b. Use technical terminology to ensure accu-racy
  c. Allow more time for the interview
  d. Watch the client's nonverbal communica-tion
  e. Have the interpreter check whether the client understands the communication

Question 6

The nurse in a clinic setting that provides care for an ethnically diverse population of older clients shows an understanding of the LEARN Model to direct the assessment process when: (Select all that apply.)

a. recognizing that the client's hands are clenched as she answers the assessment questions.
  b. asking the client to describe what he thinks will help him feel better.
  c. explaining to the client that herbal reme-dies may not be sufficient treatment for his chest congestion.
  d. acknowledging that the client has a dif-ferent view of the appropriate treatment.
  e. suggesting to the client that it would be beneficial if she would trust her health care provider to prescribe the correct treatment.
Read 23 times
2 Replies