t
i
r
r
thegreenlaser thegreenlaser
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, thegreenlaser
I have an engineering/physics background, but I'm trying to help my wife, who's interested in biology, pick a degree/career path.

A little background:
For most people interested in physics (the area I'm familiar with), there's a difficult choice to be made. On the one hand, a pure physics degree is directly lined up with their interests, but it has a lot more challenges and uncertainty in the way of careers. On the other hand, engineering might be slightly less interesting, but it's very career oriented. If you want to start a family and buy a house, etc., it can be worth going for something you're slightly less passionate about to get more career security.

Now I finally get to my question. What does the range of degrees/careers looks like for biology? I'm guessing that pure biology (e.g. marine biology) is similar to pure physics: not an impossible career choice, but not exactly easy/safe. I'm guessing that becoming a Doctor is the obvious career-oriented choice, but I've also heard that being a doctor is actually a fairly stressful job. Are there other career oriented-choices: maybe medical/pharmaceutical research?

TL;DR
I really know very little about this area, so I just want to know at a high level what the career-safe options are and what the interesting-but-risky options are for someone interested in biology.

Thanks.
Read 3758 times
2 Replies