a
t
i
r
playmaker playmaker
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Which one of the following individuals most clearly has a mastery goal rather than a performance goal?

A) Andrea is in the pool each day at 6:00 a.m.; she's set her sights on earning an Olympic gold medal in swimming.
  B) Brandon wants to please his parents by doing well in school.
  C) Claude studies science so he can understand what makes things tick.
  D) Darlene never asks questions in class because she's afraid she'll look stupid.

Ques. 2

Learners often have multiple goals that they want to accomplish. Under such circumstances, they may do any three of the following. Which one are they least likely to do?

A) Pursue one or two goals first, leaving others to be accomplished at a later time
  B) Redefine their ideas about what it means to achieve their goals successfully
  C) Find activities that enable them to accomplish two or more goals simultaneously
  D) Become so frustrated that they don't accomplish even one of their goals

Ques. 3

Which one of the following is most likely to be a core goal?

A) Wanting to find a date for the senior prom
  B) Wanting to do well in school
  C) Looking desperately for something to drink after a strenuous workout
  D) Trying to find a misplaced homework assignment that is due tomorrow

Ques. 4

Three of the following are examples of social goals. Which one would not necessarily be considered a social goal?

A) Robert is eager to learn everything he can about terrorists and their personalities.
  B) Harry is worried that the homeless in his community may freeze during a bitter cold spell.
  C) Jasmine works hard to keep a promise she made to her parents.
  D) Mikaela has her hair done so she'll look nice at the school dance.

Ques. 5

Which one of the following students clearly has a mastery goal rather than a performance goal?

A) Alice stays away from science courses because she's never done very well in science.
  B) Boris wants the recognition that being a star football player will bring him.
  C) Cal is relieved to learn he passed his English composition course.
  D) Dinah doesn't worry about making mistakes as long as she knows she's making progress.

Ques. 6

When Scott was first learning how to write, he wrote quickly and sloppily, without regard for how his papers looked. But his teachers praised him regularly for writing carefully and legibly, and eventually he began to pride himself on his neat and careful handwriting. This transition can best be described as:

A) Acquiring an external attribution for neat and careful handwriting.
  B) Internalizing the value of neat and careful handwriting.
  C) Developing situational interest in neat and careful handwriting.
  D) Developing extrinsic motivation for neat and careful handwriting.

Ques. 7

Which one of the following statements indicates that the speaker is focused on a performance-avoidance goal?

A) This is my chance to show all my classmates how smart I am.
  B) Boy, I hope I don't get this problem wrong. If I do, I'll look like an idiot.
  C) I'd really like to become a better math student. I hope the teacher gives me feedback about how I can improve my skills.
  D) I need to do well in my science classes so I can get into a good engineering school.

Ques. 8

Which one of these students definitely has a performance-approach goal?

A) Frank finds a homework assignment too easy to waste his time with.
  B) Herb frequently asks questions in class in order to understand new information better.
  C) Selena decides to enter the school science fair in hopes of impressing her teacher, classmates, and parents.
  D) Rita was somewhat disappointed about her last test score in math. Realizing that people learn from their mistakes, she decides to study harder for the next test using different study strategies.

Ques. 9

Ms. Brown always ends group work activities by standing at the front of the room facing students and turning on the overhead projector. Ms. Brown is using this position and behavior to

a. reinforce the students who are seated.
  b. model desired behavior.
  c. demonstrate overlapping skills.
  d. signal appropriate student behavior.
Read 34 times
1 Reply