a
t
i
r
Bishopoutlaw Bishopoutlaw
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
An official who is elected city-wide, presides at city council, hires, manages, and fires city staff, and may have veto powers over some council actions functions in what type of municipal government?

A) Strong mayor-council system B) Weak mayor-council system C) Council manager system D) City commission E) Council-strong manager system

Q. 2

Some cities in Texas operate their own electric companies. These cities have the authority to do this because

A) capitalism is a fundamental principal of the Texas Constitution. B) of the emergency powers granted these cities by the Texas Legislature. C) the local governing authority afforded them as home-rule cities. D) of the commerce clause found in Article I, Section 8, of the U.S. Constitution. E) such authority is given all city and county governments under the Texas Local Government Code.

Q. 3

As mayor of your small hometown, you cut ribbons at store openings and speak at Rotary Club luncheons.

You preside over your city council meetings, but your vote is no more significant than that of any other member of the council which, as a body, runs the city. You have no executive power, nor is there any city manager with executive power. What kind of city government are you serving under?
  A) Strong mayor-council
  B) Weak mayor-council
  C) Council-manager
  D) Commission
  E) Home-rule

Q. 4

Texas adopted a constitutional amendment in 1912 which authorized

A) complete county autonomy. B) consolidated inter-county cities of the first class. C) home-rule cities. D) increased immigration from Mexico. E) the creation of junior college systems as special districts in the state.

Q. 5

In the early 1900s, which of these issues became a part of the agenda of the Progressive movement?

A) Representation B) The tax system C) Private sector employment D) Economic growth E) Home rule for municipalitie

Q. 6

Who is given extensive powers to govern a home-rule city?

A) The governor B) The city C) The county D) Home-rule special districts E) The local Board of Governors

Q. 7

Complete the analogy: What a city charter is to a home-rule city, a

A) city manager is to the mayor. B) law is to a legislature. C) constitution is to a state. D) police chief is to a fire chief. E) treaty is to an executive order.

Q. 8

The most significant portion of county revenue comes from

A) special levies. B) motor vehicle registration fees. C) property taxes. D) sales tax. E) excise taxes
Read 74 times
3 Replies