a
t
i
r
Arroyo21 Arroyo21
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Compare and contrast the cyclic and noncyclic electron transport pathways of photosynthesis. What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

Explain the origin, location, and function of the proton gradient in the process of photosynthesis. What will be an ideal response?
Read 78 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
Answer to q. 1

Both cyclic and noncyclic electron transport involve photosynthetic pigments embedded in
the thylakoid membranes as well as the flow of electrons down an electron transport chain
resulting in the generation of ATP via chemiosmosis. Cyclic electron transport does not
involve the reduction of NADP.+ Instead, electrons flow in a cyclical pathway from
photosystem I to the electron transport chain and back to photosystem I. By contrast,
noncyclic electron flow involves the linear flow of electrons from water to photosystem II,
down an electron transport chain to photosystem I, and finally to NADP+. Consequently, the
noncyclic pathway results in the formation of O2, but the cyclic pathway does not.

Answer to q. 2

The proton gradient is established in the thylakoid lumen as electrons flow down the
photosynthetic electron transport chain. As the electrons lose energy some of that energy is
used to pump protons across the thylakoid membrane into the lumen. As the protons
accumulate, they form a gradient, with the proton concentration in the lumen higher than in
the stroma. Eventually the protons flow downhill through the ATP synthase complex in the
thylakoid membrane. The exergonic process of diffusion down this gradient is used to power
the endergonic process of ATP synthesis.
Arroyo21 Author
wrote...
6 years ago
Just confirmed the same answer from my friend, thanks
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1273 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?